Replacement windows: Lowes, Home Depot or Window World?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

james123

We want to replace our house's original 40 year old metal framed, single pane sliding windows with vinyl replacement ones. We live in NY state and during the winter if you get within 5 feet of them, you can feel the cold (kinda the opposite of a fireplace).

I've looked at the Thermastar by Pella windows from Lowes, the Amercian Craftsman by Anderson from Home Depot, and from Window World. Anyone have any advice about which way to go? Any of these 3 to stay away from? Any personal experience to share?

I'm at a little of an analysis paralysis stage and not sure which way to go. Let me know if you need anymore information. Thanks for any help.

do you have a Menards nearby?

I am looking for windows too, and they had tons of them. easily 20 times what HD had in stock with loads of different brands. including some triple paynes that looked decent and were pretty cheap.

unfortunately Vinyl wouldn't look good in the house, so we'll probably hold off another winter with storm windows on the outside and/or plastic film on the inside.
Greg

James, It all depends on how deep you want to get into the project.

I changed all of ours with Pella new construction windows. If are going this route, plan on re framing since you will either have to special order the sizes you need or use stock sizes. Either way I would bet you find frames that are either rotted or starting to.

I have never delt with window world, but there are others such as Comfort window in Syracuse that will build to your size.

If you have a Mr. Seconds near you they may have something you can used as well, I have found them to be a crap shoot as far as their stock. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
joedirt63

i had a choice between lowes and home depot, narrowed it down to then because of cost and location for me. i choose the home depot ,new constuction, easier to install, it has a molded flange and incorperated a j type molding around the frame to accomendate the sideing, also it was double hung , of the 2 i felt it was the best for the money i had to spend. installed one this spring and so far so good, even holds a window a/c unit .the hardest part aside from modifing the frame opening was takeing out those!@#$%^&*() :twisted: :evil: _ staples! :lol:
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me
Mark440

I have been looking at windows for a couple of years now. My mortgage is VA - and the VA offers an energy upgrade program when doing a refi. Unfortunately, if you even breathe a word of doing a VA refi - every quote will be in excess of the amount the VA allows.

One of the things that struck me as very odd with all of the quotes was that it just doesn't make much sense to me to put a $500 window in a $30,000 mobile home. I'm not being demeaning - just practical. Mobile homes rarely appreciate in value! Still, Home Depot came out with only ONE window choice at $500 a window. Other local window companies were just a hair under that. FWIW - every bid indicated the job could be done in a day or two.

At first I thought that $500 must just be the going price. A little research - and those $500 windows are available for direct purchase at about $130 each. No way I was going to pay $370 for installation per window. I know folks have got to make a living - but dang!

So, I'm going the solo route. Lowes has double-panes at $130 each. I plan to buy on the "just-in-time" notion so that I don't have a stack of windows waiting on me. These windows are normal everyday stock at Lowes, so there is no need to buy all at once. The price is reasonable - and they qualify for the energy tax credit.

Rome wasn't built in a day - and I have no intentions of peeling all of the windows off at once - and hoping everything goes perfect in replacing them. Nope. Murphy's Law is keen to strike when it can!
Opportunity has a shelf life.
Greg

Mark, Your logic of a $500. window in a $30,000 home is correct, to a point. If you only plan on living in the home for a few years then fine, but if you plan on staying in the home the equation changes.

We bought this place new in 91 for just over 20k with the "plan" of staying only a few years. Well, 20 years later I can safely say that plan went out the window. I have done remodels, upgrades and a bunch of other stuff that I have forgotten about. The bottom line is where can I live for around $250/ month??

I figure in another 20 years, I'll let the grandchildren worry about it!!!

But you are correct as far as doing a few at a time, the first one will be the killer. Take your time and do it right, plan on the weekend (with good weather) the others will go faster once you get an idea of what you are up against. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

I agree, $500 to provide and install a $130 window seems very high. I can usually get about a 24x36 window for around $130. I plan about an hour for a standard install or a window like that. I do work with a helper. For me, A $500 window would be a large window. Most older homes can be done for $4K or less, usually a dozen or so windows. Again, large windows and many windows will certainly add to that price.

There are things that can make the install price go up. I have seen homes where the factory aluminum lap siding and aftermarket vinyl siding totally covers the nail fin of the existing aluminum frame window. This adds time to the install, factored by a per case basis. I have also had windows that were more difficult to install because of where the window is located and obstructions that have to be dealt with. None of that is particularly hard, it just adds more time to the install. Window awnings can also add time but small ones are really no big deal.

How difficult your windows will be to install depends a lot on the type of siding you have. T1-11 type panels and vertical aluminum siding is a snap. Lap siding can sometimes make it difficult to fit the windows.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Brenda (OH)

If you have to do a different size window than the current opening, this trick worked well for me when I did my first one....

remove the old window, and get an idea of the depth of the framing you will be installing (in other words, is the wall framed in 2x2, 2x4, or 2x6 studs).

lay the window face down on a padded surface, decide if you want to shim each side of the window slightly, measure, and cut the wood to build the frame that window will go into... lay the boards around the window, and screw them together, make it sturdy... and ease the window out of the frame. if you want it less tight, you could put a thin strip of material between the window and the frame. I just went right to the edge of the window...

use this frame to install into the wall. this frame helps you measure for how big to cut the new hole into the siding, what studs need to be trimmed back, how you are going to run the siding and flashing up to the window etc... You are lugging this frame around, test fitting it.. instead of hauling the window up and down, risking dropping the window ....

Install the frame into the opening and attach to the wall studs. When you get to the step when the window is put in, the window will pop into its perfect fit custom frame...

I found the hard part to be the flashing and the siding and the trim when I did it this way....

Brenda 9oh0
Lorne

I went with Home Depot and they work well and under $200 each.
My problem is that the vinyl siding is a style that is hard to find after 21 years, so each window has to be the same size OR a little bigger, so no extra siding is needed.

Each window install required a new section of wall due to rim joist and stud rot from years of rain and no proper sealing.

The first wall and window was around $1100 using 3 men and one window.
The second room was 2 windows right next to each other, using Andy on call and 1-1/2 men, plus me. He had his young son helping and learning. This install was about $650.

The next room will need one window the same size as the original OR a little bigger, so as not to need fill in siding. I have a few pieces of siding left from the first room, but I can't afford to be cut short.

HD windows are great for the money on a 21 year old MH. They are single hung, double pane, gas filled with the thin film inside.

Hope this helps some.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
Sharon Northeast

I have a 1980 home and used Window World about 5 years ago. A basic window w/installation was about $184. However I opted for Low E glass Argon. I replaced the kitchen bow window for a very large casement and a large good size window in the master bedroom and two regular size in the front entry room. I believe total cost was about for the casement and the 3 dbl hungs were about $1600. Was a 2 man crew for 2 days. No problems and very happy. Got two windows from HD and my sis and hubby who are contractors did those two in the one of the bedrooms. Problems was had to reframe trim in and out, as quite the pain. Going with WW on the balance. Love tto get window & install as one deal, makes life easier.