Groo - roof repair, broken rafter

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Groo

I went to clean out my MH and found a similar broken trussleaving a nice puddle up there to put a big bulge in the ceiling. going to have to brace it if I want it to last the winter.

Odd, it survived plenty of snow weight for years and years, and now a little rain is too much for it.
JD
Site Admin

This is a reply posted by Dean3, cut and pasted from original location.

What exactly do you mean by "brace",,If it is a rafter style that is cut from a single board like Ronald's original ones then a post and brace *might* work ok for temporary,,if it is an engineered truss and the top "band"(lack of proper term)has come apart from the lower web and such then bracing from underneath the ceiling might not do the trick. Here again I suggest looking inside it to see unless you already know for sure.

Dean
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Groo

Thanks for your concern, but I'm currently only using the home for storage, so It isn't a real big deal.

I plan on a wedging in a 2x4 or 2 floor to ceiling.

it is also the first truss that broke, 1 in from the front wall, so I think it might not be a regular full joist-pannel-band truss.

The bottom brace should work, because just pushing up at the bow with my hand dump plenty of water.
Groo

got the braces in place. they are doing what I want. I gouldn't believe how much more water was pooled up there. I just never seamed to stop running once I got the brace in place

I decided to see what it looked like from above, and all I can say is wow, has that roof gone downhill quick.

I hauled it from under trees to out in a field, and I think the sun on the rubber is getting it soft, letting it stretch and sag.

looks like there may be some other rafters that partially let go, possibly colapsing the web. definate lower on the outside, but nothing visable on the inside.

Each time I look at it, I get more and more glad I decided against fixing it up.
blwfly

why not just put sister boards down the sides of the broken rafters. easey and fast.

chris
Groo

that would involve opening up the ceiling and a probably rain of mouse droppings and dirty insulation. pluss it more work than the trailer is worth. Its being used for storage at the moment.
blwfly

ah i assumed the ceiling was open .
what you have done would be good enough then..

chris