New to me Nail Gun, which nail brands?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Lorne

I finally broke down and got a Shop Fox 16Ga ,1-1/4" to 2-1/2"nail gun at the local tool store. There are so many different brands though.
I see some brands require they're own special brand of nails. This nail gun doesn't mention brand of nails anywhere in the manual.

I searched the internet and see that Porter Cable nails can be used in various other brands.
This gun was only $99 instead of $200 or $300. I only have a couple of rooms to trim out so I thought I'd go cheaper.

What is your experience?

OH boy, a new toy.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
Greg

As long as you use the right Gauge nail you should be OK with any brand. I try to stick with Porter Cable or Bostich. The first sign that there is a problem will be when you load them, if they don't slide nice and free into the gun, stop and take them back you will have nothing but problems. Remember you may need to regulate the air pressure down for shorter nails. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Brenda (OH)

I'm going to tell on myself now....

I had a brain dead moment, and put brad nails in the finish nail gun.... they got stuck, and I had to take the gun to the tool repair service center....

That time was not as bad as when the drill broke down... I ended up coming home with an expensive replacement/upgrade.... the tool repair center just happens to also sell higher end tools.... oh well, I really like the lithum impact drill and the extra regular drill.... the matching flashlight I hardly use at all....lol

Brenda (OH)
Lorne

Brenda, don't feel bad cause we've all done stuff like that once in a while.

Greg, I agree with your suggestion.
I spend a long while researching nails and nailers today and found that there are so many brands being sold out there and few mention the nails they use except for the higher priced guns specify they're own brand. All the other nail manufacturers just say, "will fit MOST other guns". Big help for the newbie that just wants a simple answer for a simple mind.
I'll hit Home Depot tomorrow and see what the Sudo tool expert has to say. I might get lucky and find one, expert that is.
I'll take the nail gun along and slip some nails in as you suggest.

There is also a dealer in Myrtle Beach that specializes in Fasteners, call Fastenal.

See y'all later.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
Greg

Fastenal is a national company, there are 3 in the Syracuse area. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."