Porch Pictures

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Shick

Hello--I am new to the forum and hope I am in the right place. I have a new double wide and want to build a wrap around covered porch on three sides. I am looking for pictures and ideas. Anyone have any pictures or know where I can go to see some houses with wrap around covered porches?

Thanks!
JD
Site Admin

Hi Shick and welcome to the forum. Sorry you aren't getting any replies to your post. I guess no one has drawings or pictures of what you are looking for, although I do remember a recent post where someone was talking about a wrap around deck. Hang in there and maybe they will show up.

Would you have a more specific question to ask?

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Suzque49

I have tried posting pics, but for whatever reason I can't get them to post
Sorry
Last edited by Suzque49 on Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Susan
Suzque49

Still didn't work
Susan
Brenda (OH)

Hi Suzque..

You may want to start the planning this way..... are you in a mobile home park? do they have rules on what they will allow for a porch?

are there local zoning laws, and inspection requirements from the municipalities you live in? (local, county, state) a certain type of concrete pad may be required, or concrete footers, posts etc.... don't even think about building a structure without a permit, you will get into trouble when you go to sell the home, or you may get caught and required to pull the porch down... I passed on buying a home to fix an resale even though it was a great home, because no permits had been used for building the addition.

porch and deck heights, railings, and hand railings, affect your insurance.... whether you can use horizontal railings, or will have to have ballasters, and how far apart the ballasters must be may be some thing you want to check in advance with your insurance agent... this comes up if you ever want to change insurance companies......

have you seen a porch like the design you have in mind in the park, neighborhood, etc? if so, you may want to tap on the door or leave a note asking who built it for them... there may be a local contractor that did it, and you may want to use them.....

have you looked online for plans? you will not want to attach the porch to the home (ground shifts) so you may need to use the term "free standing" This old house website may have some great references.....

snow load.... for the north.... wind resistence... in the south.... will determine how you have to design the roof for the porch.....

Please don't get discouraged... porches are wonderful...... have you considered enclosing part of the porch as a sunroom so that you could put an air conditioner on it for the summer? then you get even more use out of it.....

a porch that big is a medium sized construction project, and a decent chunk of money... getting a quality job of building it done well will make it a great thing.... do it illegally and unsafely, and it can actually cause damage to the mobile home and be a continuous problem

most of the 4 big roof issues i have had on homes I have fixed up for resale have been where a porch roof was attached to the main roof of the mobile home.....

Brenda (OH)