Laminate flooring question

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

fargoman

Hello I have a question for the forum.

Can someone tell me the best way to cut laminate flooring? What works for you?

I'm not the best at cutting perfect straight lines and accurate length with a circular saw.
I was thinking of either using a jig saw or some type of hand saw. I would of course be using a straight edge something like a framing square. When using any type of saw are the cuts supposed to be right on the cutting line or on the scrap side of the wood while were at it?

Thank you for your help
Greg

Try clamping a 1x4 to the piece that you need to cut and use it as a rip fence. Buy cheap blades for your saw, laminate will eat them up. I ruined a $50 blade on my miter saw, never gave it a thought and I Knew better> Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
fargoman

Thank you for the help. I'll have to do some practicing to get a better hang of it.
dinotoad

They make special blades for laminate like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Freud-TK806L-10-I ... B00006407N

Also, they say that a table saw is the way to go. There is something about the angle of cut in a miter saw that destroys blades.
mp183

I agree with the table saw.
It eats up blades in circular saws and never comes out straight.
You won't beleive the difference.
Greg

I do agree that a table saw is the way to go, but if you don't have one you use what you have. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Groo

I believe they make special laminate blades. I picked one up for my circular saw when redoing a kitchen.

Honestly, there is nothing the ticks me off more than wrecking a bunch of materials because I was too cheap to get the correct tool for the job. I'm a tighwad, so its happened more than once, and I usualy end up buying the correct tool and more material because of it.

lots of garage sales going on now. find a saw and get the correct blade. the expense is worth it.
Jim from Canada

I used a jig saw and a circular saw, fine blades. Put the nice side down. On a tablesaw, put the nice side up when cutting. You want the teeth traveling "into" the show side when cutting. Less chipout on the show side that way.