dealing with american modern insurance

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

lefties

had adjuster come for problem with my roof that appeared since may. My roof was good may 1 when i painted vents,,now 7 storms later my shingles look like they were shot by shotguns,,so i called them in. He said they were partially blistered,,hail,,storm damaged. 25 yr shingles about 8 yrs old. Waiting on the companies determination now. What should I expect ? Should I get a contractor(roofer) to also come see what their opinion is?
1997 commodore repo-1450 sq ft.
JD
Site Admin

I would definitely get a couple of estimates and contractor opinions. Some adjusters are real good to the insured people and some seem to focus on cost containment. A contractor, well he wants the work and should be a professional that can determine the amount of damage and proper repair.

On the claim side of your issue, a lot depends on whether you have a replacement cost policy or an actual cash value policy. With a replacement policy, they will have to pay the price you pay to a contractor for an approved repair, less the amount of the deductible. Real simple and clean. Be sure to get an approval of the estimate from the adjuster. They can sometimes find things within the estimate that they feel should not be included or is considered and upgrade.

With a replacement cost policy, it is never good. That is where that depreciation comes in. A 25 year roof, that cost $3000, and now is 8 years old, may be only worth $2150.00. Then they subtract the deductible. If this is a $500 deductible, you might have enough money for materials and all the beer & pizza your buds can consume while installing the roof. Keep in mind, there are probably no contractors using 8 year old prices.

One thing that I would really recommend to all home owners, "Get a replacement cost policy!" This will protect you from depreciation, bad adjusters, inflation, runs on materials causing the price to escalate (think plywood and hurricane Andrew) and other variables. With replacement cost, your magic number is your deductible.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg

One other thing, DOCUMENT EVERYTHING. Take notes of who you talked to & when. Go in prepared in case you need to fight. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
lefties

i have replacement value on house,,dunno about roof.
JD
Site Admin

The depreciation amount is about wear and tear. Home owner's insurance are looking for events that happened, "Sudden and accidental". Storm damage to a roof should be covered. Here in my area, people get their awning panels replaced through insurance because of hail storm dents. As long as the damage happened to a functioning roof, the ins co should return the roof to as good of a state as it was in or better. They can't install used shingles so it is roof replacement.

Things could go bad with the adjuster too. He could say that each occurrence of storm damage is a separate claim, therefore more deductibles. He could also deny the claim saying there were multiple storms and you should have called in a claim at the first damage. I dunno. Seen all kinds of things happen with the first offer to settle the claim. Whatever it is, if you do not feel they are being fair, you can appeal your case to them. Being persistent seems to pay off.
One thing that I have seen a few times was the adjuster told the insured that they did not report the roof damage soon enough, that the damage in the ceiling area happened over a long period of time. My customers say that as soon as they saw the stain on the ceiling, they called the insurance, which was pretty sudden to them. How often are these folks required to look at their roofs anyway. If you check the roof a couple of times a year, you get up there and see pivots from hail damage and call the insurance company, that seems like you are being diligent in your home maintenance to me.

Just have to play it out. Hopefully you find a contractor you like, let him submit the bid to the adjuster (at your request) and the claims adjuster will just sign off on it.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
lefties

well jd,,they sent supposed independant adjuster,,but the claims manager and I had a few words earlier,,i filed a complaint on her to the company cwhen they called me asking if i liked how it was handled. I told them as soon as i saw the roof i reported it to them,,and it was good in may when i was up painting the vents
Dean3

I agree with Greg,Judges love documentation,makes their job lots easier if your claim goes that far.
lefties

Thx alot guys,,i value your input. :D
homebuff

I hope I can add a thing or two about Insuance for my old 88 model trlr.
Tried to get insuance for mine through my Shield Of Shelter Insuance company A few years ago & they declined getting me some because of the age of the trlr.
Been dedicated to this insurance for many years now with them insuring both my veh's.
Ever since then i've had problems getting it. Trlr. is in pretty good shape as far as foundation & interior & exterior.
Get a little scared around tornado season wondering if my family is going to wind up out in the streets if a tornado comes along & wipes us out.
Had some pretty close calls over the years.
What all do I need to show a company when I find a company? Inventory of all my belongings & cost "value" & such?
Could have one other option. Just purchase another newer model trlr. Used of course.
Any recommendations on a insurance company out there who will take me in?
Thank's!
I am a certified ford diesel tech, "Retired Now" Ford Parts Department counter man, computer consultant, repairman & programmer
Northern Star

Progressive covers my 1971 seasonal-use MH. The amount of dwelling coverage is fairly low, consistent with the actual value of the home. As far as contents limits, you are correct; you should go around and inventory everything you own to make sure you are not missing anything to be covered. Your agent can help you put a value on the items. Be careful of specific limits for specialty items like guns, electronics, jewlry, etc. Buy replacement coverage, and most importantly READ YOUR POLICY when it is issued.
homebuff

Thank's for that important & valuble tip Horthern Star,i'll keep it in mind.
I am a certified ford diesel tech, "Retired Now" Ford Parts Department counter man, computer consultant, repairman & programmer
lefties

aug 26th still waiting,,my roofer called today,,said the adjuster told him next week they should have a determination what they will cover??????? Im paying for replacement value on my home. What should be determined? How much an insurance company is allowed to rip off the american public?
Northern Star

When did you first report the claim? Was that in May? If it has been more than 30 days since you first contacted the company, contact your state's insurance commissioner to complain. There is no reason for it to take this long to adjust a roof claim.
lefties

just talked to my roofer again,,he talked to claims manager yesterday-she had told him last week by friday she would have answer,,friday she told him monday,,tuesdsy she told him this friday. He said she was flat out rude. She picked a fight with me first time i talked with her. I think on the 4th it will be about a month since I first called her. I did file a complaint on her with the company after the first time i talked with her. But I guess its not just me she is rude to and slow with. He said he has been keeping logs of his talks with her.