Wall outlet wiring

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Lorne

DSCF4666 (Small).JPG
I just check photos I took when the guy was replacing the rotted wall and installed new windows. Now I know why there was a BULGE in the drywall at the stud seam.

Wallboard screwed over wire trapped against the stud.
Can you believe someone would do this. Next time I do the drywall install myself.

The drywall is up and textured and I was trying to put a NEW standard receptacle back in the wall and the wire is too short to pull out and work on.

Looks like I'll have to cut a big chunk of wall out to work on the wire.

Oh DARN, Oh HECK , OH ^#@^&*((&&%%
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
Greg

Fine, professional job!!! Extra wall texture - NO CHARGE!!!! Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Lorne

And I was going to have the same guy replace another wall and install new windows, DUHHHH. He said his specialty was re-doing kitchens. NOW THAT'S SCARY.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
homebuff

Lorne, I'm having the same problem with my outlet in my laundry room.
Mine is a bit higher than your's, halfway up the wall.
My project is replacing the whole panel where I had a bad water leak at the main hot water line valve going to the washer a long while back.
Trying to figure out how to get the outlet outside the new panel without disturbing the wiring all together.
Have to install a new plastic water valve assembly that houses the valves. Don't know the name of it but you know what I mean. Service panel I believe. Its all warped from hanging down for so long.
This will be a pretty big project. Have easy access to the water lines & outlet from the existing wall on the other side by just removing that panel.
Maybe Mark,Yanita or Greg can offer some assistance on how to do this I hope before I make it a bigger project than it needs to be.
Have a lot of experience & safety know how when working with electric outlets & switches.
Do it all the time.
Regular house wiring is a snap when replacing switches & outlets.
Those moble home switches & outlet are a bit more complicated.
I'd like to go in & replace all the outlets & switches to the standard type in my home someday.
I am a certified ford diesel tech, "Retired Now" Ford Parts Department counter man, computer consultant, repairman & programmer
joedirt63

i found those type of outlets and switches in my kids home too. never saw anything like them befor. i found 2 that where burnt , then i stopped everything and replaced every single out let and wall switch i could find with a REAL outlet and switch. i used old construction boxes and for the outlets and switches, and due to the rules of this site about electrical thats all i'm gunna say.
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me
Lorne

Many of my sockets were mounted in thin paneling and NOT even near studs. Every time you plug or unplug something the whole section of wall flexes, but what the heck, the house was cheap enough and I just love fixing things. DUHHHHHHH.

Just thought of something. I could silicone the socket into the wall with a sign underneath it. DO NOT USE! HAHAHAH.