Vacation!

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

DoubleWideDrama

We are taking the rest of the week to work on the house. Our biggest problems seem to be heating/cooling. We pulled some of the damaged skirting off today to replace it with new and it smells kinda funky underneath... is that normal?

Also, there is SOME foam board insulation behind the skirting but it's not all the way around. The foam board insulation seems kind of counter-productive because of the different seasons here, 5 degrees in the winter and 95 and humid in the summer.

We also don't have any house wrap. Got an estimate for Tyvek and new siding but can't quite swing it this year... any other options?

Sad that we are preparing for winter already but we can't have another winter like last year... cold and expensive!

Any ideas?
DoubleWideDrama

New question... can we use T-111 instead of skirting?
joedirt63

i've seen it done, my neighbor is doing that to his 14x 60, he pulled out all the skirting and tracks. releveled the perimiter and added rock for drrainage , then he laid 4x4 ties level, and , dasicly screwed them to the base of the house where the skirting would go, and added acess doors and some vents. don't know how well it will hold up to the elements though. we get alot of runoff from the mountain when it rains and the groung stays saturated along time here. we're at the bottom of a mountain and in the woods ,next to a river, delaware river that is.the only thing i would worry about with that set up is winter when the ground freezes, the panels would lift up and possibly cause damage to the house, the skirting needs to move somewhat for this reason. unless you go with cement block foundation type thing.
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me
Greg

Since you are not in a park it should not be a problem, but don't expect long life since it will be in contact with the ground and rot will be likely after a few years. I like steel (pole barn type) I have one more side to do on our's. Don't forget the vents. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
DoubleWideDrama

Good call Greg on the rotting. Our skirting is SHOT and it's quite expensive at Home Depot. We were looking for other alternatives I guess.

TY JoeDirt for reminding us about the freezing too... didn't think about that either.

Glad I came here to ask!!!