Hardwood floors in MH

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

DCDiva

Has anyone installed them in your mh? We are thinking about it--we have done many homes w hardwood and have all the equipment--we are looking at unfinished--my dd has favorite stain she found--a brown/red combo--we have done her trim and kitchen cabinets and the custom cabinets in mh and she would love to do the floors. I have looked at laminate and the hardwood is 1.40 a ft just a few cents more--but we would have to finish it so the cost would be more... Would we --have to re enforce the floors w more blocks due to weight--we have replaced all the joists/plywood in whole mh so that is safe
Melissa
Greg

It's been done, shouldn't be a problem. Wood floors do have some flex to them unlike tile. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Groo

Never delt with hardwood floors in a MH, but have in my old house.

as you put down plwood instead of the often OEM particle board, I see no problem with actual HW flooring. The flooring nails might have had a hard time getting a secure hold in particle board. If its was stil the particle board, I'd sugest sinking a few of those anti-squeek break-off screws before the putty and varnish. you can often hide them within imperfection of the wood and make them even harder to see.

Don't rent a floor sander, buy a heavy duty Belt sander. a premium 4x24 should run a bit over $200 new. this is the one I picked up after doing 1 room with a rental:
http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... CDwQ8wIwAw#
Its not that much slower, its safer, and you can take your time or do it a section at a time. even with a big rental sander, you'll still have to have a smaller sander to get real close to the walls.

oil based varnishes looks nicer, but I didn't think it was worth the smell and drying time penalty if you are currently living in the house.
Yanita

Hi,
In my singlewide (no longer own it) Hubby I put in southern pine flooring. We did not replace the particle board and we had no problems what so ever, even with the slight flexing of the home during the colder months or excessive rain.

If your interior doors have a 2 inch gap from the bottom of the door to the floor, make sure you maintain that distance. We installed vents at the bottom of the doors so as not to impede the cold air return of the furnace.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!