sealant / paint to ward off smell/out-gasing

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

aamirghanchi

Hi. I bought this 10 year old double wide in Texas. There is a lingering smell that gives you a headache for the first few times. I am convinced that its coming off of the walls and ceiling because of the material they have used when building it. Are there any paints /sealants available out there that can be used to seal off the smell or whatever vapors the building material has been exuding.

Thanks!

Aamir.
JD
Site Admin

I am going to move this post to the Mobile Home Repair forum where it should get more views and replies.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
JD
Site Admin

I have found that primers like Kilz or Zinsser BIN 1-2-3 do an excellent job of sealing wood, whether it is paneling, raw plywood, OSB and particle board, and unpainted wood like pressure treated, fir/pine, redwood, etc. On the Kilz, I think any of their primer products would work, but I prefer Kilz Original when I am serious about sealing in odors. Original is an oil based paint that is very similar to shellac. I have used it on several fire restoration jobs where we needed to get rid of the smoke smell.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
aamirghanchi

Thanks JD. Thats a good lead. If you know of any place I can get Kilz primer at reasonable rates then please do let me know.

Thanks again.
joedirt63

zinsser bin 1-2-3 at home depot by me is about 16.00 to 20.00 a gal, the kilz is about the same. not sure if that is reasonable for you . also try dare i say it wal mart if there is one by you kilz is about 15.00 to 20.00 a gal there . home depot had a sale on glidden paints like 20.00 off or something . tried there primers worked well . adheres to everything even my glasses heh heh.
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me
Greg S

You may have to look a little deeper or elsewhere to find the source of the smell. After 10 years it will not be off gassing from the building materials.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
purpleboy

I have just recently moved into a mobile home that is at least 20 years old. My problem is there is an odor in the home that is making me nausea! It seems to be more towards the back of the house than the front. I have painted 5 rooms so maybe this is why its not too bad. What can I do to eliminate the smell, could this be in the walls they put in these homes? This is my first time living in a mobile home. I have read in one of your responses to use Kiltz, I have a whole gallon is this strong enough to get rid of ALL stinky smells? Also there is an opening on the outside of the shower which is covered with a picture. My spouse said it is to the shower elements like where you can get to the plumbing, could this be it also? Please answer ASAP!!! Need help fast! Thx Purpleboy
Greg

I was thinking the same thing that Greg S was, After 10 years I doubt that it is any of the ORIGINAL materials. I would look towards things that were changed or repaired just before the Headaches started. Is it possible you have a dead critter somewhere Or a dry trap in a drain? Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."