resetting existing bathtub

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

JP

Hi, This is my first post, only because I couldn't find an answer to my problem. I have a 1972 Catalina 8x35'park trailer. I'm thinking about remodeling my very small, square shaped bathroom.

I want to reset my existing metal tub and move the toilet to the outside (back) wall, at the end of the tub, thus removing a wall & part of the surround, and put in a semi-wrap around shower curtain that will enclose the front side and the now exposed end of the tub. The curtain will actually act as a divide of the toilet and tub.

When I took the front panel off from the tub, (just to see what was there), I was somewhat stunned. The tub is held up by a small wood frame, and anchored to the back wall, there is no seating? Under the tub, but not touching, is what looks to be, a thin metal wheel well cover, that measures approx. 68"L x 18"W x 3"H, this explains why my head is so close to the ceiling when taking a shower. The far end section that extends into the kitchen seems to have been smashed to floor level where the kitchen wall was built, and not cut off. The kitchen floor is normal, as if this 'metal well' didn't exist.

Can this 'wheel well' be removed or smashed all the way down, then use plywood to cover and seal the area? Like the kitchen? So the tub can be seated on the floor, and not suspended in mid air. Now I'm thinking of maybe, replaceing the tub with a corner shower pan, where the metal well end is already partly smashed. I don't know if there is tires under this well or not, I assumed not, since the trailer has been here since the 70's.

If I do the renovation all the 4-5 feet of waterlines will be replaced to fit.

As for the toilet, I'd like to have a tankless or a wall mounted unit, is that doable? The park owner is more than willing to install a new updated sewer line for me. Thank you for any solution provided.

JP in Arizona
Brenda (OH)

JP,

a photo might get you more detailed suggestions....

Brenda (OH)
Groo

pretty sure a tankless toilet will require a much larger water suply line than you have. a wall mount unit would probably be much more weight than your walls could handle. You might be able to do a tankless if you have it conected by a large diameter pipe to a well pressure acumilator (a water holding tank that makes it so the well pump doesn't have to fire up every time you want a trickle of water) that would be basically having a remote tank for the tankless. maybe stick it above the water heater or something.

I don't see why the inner fender well couldn't be removed (assuming its done being mobile), but it would be a bit more involvred than smashing it down. that shape gives strength. you probably want to take it out all together, then add in floor joist next to the existing ones that extend to the outer edge. to anchor them in properly, you'll probably have to tear up the floor in the bathroom, or the underbelly. since you are redoing it all already, my vote is the floor, then replace with new plywood.

sounds like a real dinky little home (not always a bad thing). I'd want to maximize space in such a small trailer by replacing the tub with a shower. judging by you talk about a new smaller toilet, you want more space in there too.
Greg

Hi & Welcome. I would look hard at a shower unit also. If the home is going to be a permanent I would remove the wheel wells. It may take a little reconstruction to do but could be well worth it. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."