Hurricane window coverings

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Navarre doublewide

Good Morning...
Thank God we in Navarre have only tiny tiny tar balls :shock: :shock: BUT it IS going to get worse :evil: :evil: ... PLEASE KEEP the families who work the Gulf in your prayers...
OK to my question.... We are thinking about permanently installing metal U things (braces or supports or whatever I can find ) attached at the top corners and bottom corners of the windows (on the outside) and when hurricanes come we cound just slide the plywood into the metal U hickies and it then totally covers the window... I could then attach the plywood to the U things with screws... Of course if what I find (U things) does not have holes I'll drill them so I can attach them to the outer wall at the window and then to the plywood... Sorry but I do not know what this stuff is called BUT ANY advice will be helpful... Thanks to yall I did not attempt to remove my center wall in the doublewide so I trust yalls answers... I cannot afford anything other than home made window coverings..... Please advise ASAP cause its July 2010 and we have only been in the place fulltime since Feb 09... Thanks again
Jan Brown in Oil Nervous Navarre FL
The truth never lies... JanetGafneaBrown
Rhonda

I know someone who was really tired of replacing their mobile home windows after each hail storm so they made perm shutters they can fold in and out and latch together in the middle during a storm. They simply painted them to match the trim and leave them up all year long. It works very well for them. Her husband is quite the handyman, but it didn't look too complicated to me. I think that would be easier than trying to get plywood in place every time you needed it. Good luck!
Brenda (OH)

if you go the shutter route, I would really investigate what type of latch to use...

maybe something as strong as the old fashioned brackets that a 2 x 4 fits in like you saw on frontier doors?

high winds are going to be your problem, and if the edge of the shutter lifts up, the wind could catch it and tear the shutter open....

is there a local building zoning board that has requirements or suggestions for hurricane window coverings?

Brenda in Ohio
Brenda (OH)

the american plywood association website has downloadable pamphlets on hurricane window coverings, they should be good... Brenda

http://www.apawood.org/level_b.cfm?content=app_bas_wind
Groo

I thought the standard for huricane quick attach was lag studs. studs with a stand tread on one end and a wood thread on the other end. then wing nuts and washers to hold the plywood down.
Navarre doublewide

THANK YOU!!!
We are going with Groo's idea. This why I ask yall first cause I know the answers will be smart and do-able... In Florida in a mobile home you have a standard 1000 dollar or in a hurricane 2% of total claim deductable on homeowners insurance, so I NEED to protect my windows. Thanks again.
Jan
The truth never lies... JanetGafneaBrown