Mobile Home Exterior

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

kribarr

Hi there - first post. I have a quick question..

My husband and I are about to buy an older sw that has been totally remodeled inside the only problem that we are aware of is the skirting needs to be replaced and the siding (I assume aluminum) needs some love. We will never be able to move the mh so we want to get it at least looking good from the outside.

Skirting - Is there a benefit of one type of skirting over another? Is there any benefits to using something permanent (brick / cinderblock) in the long run? If so anyone have any tips on how to DIY?

Siding - what do you recommend? We do not have a lot of money but will be able to replace / fix the siding that is on it. We could paint what is there or replace it. Anyone have any great experiences with painting aluminum siding? Is it beneficial to just replace it with something else (maybe vinyl?)

Thanks for any and all of your advice! I am so clueless when it comes to this stuff...
Greg

Hi & welcome. First you are not as clueless as you may think, you know enough to ask for help!!
Mark, the site owner has written a book for all mobile home owners. It covers about every type of repair & upgrade you may need or want. It's in the "Books & Parts" section of the site.

As for Skirting, I like steel - the type pole barns are made out of. They look good and you can not kill them with a weed eater. Mark also covers this in his book.

Siding, Many here have gone to vinyl siding. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

I just finished a paint job on an aluminum sided mobile home just this week. I used Sherwin Williams Duration exterior paint. I have another aluminum sided home that I painted with duration about 6 years ago and it still looks like new. No oxidation, cracking or anything. There are companies still selling the sheets of mobile home aluminum siding but it is expensive. But if you only need a few sheets, this may be the least expensive option. Other than the fact that aluminum siding will dent, I really like the aluminum siding. It is very functional and easy to work with.

Standard vinyl skirting looks nice and is inexpensive but it does not like weed eaters or big butt dogs that lean on it. The steel skirting Greg mentioned would be a good low cost alternative. There are several brands of insulated and/or stronger composition skirting products, but they all seem very expensive to me. The R-rock, R-cotec, simulated stone, rock, brick skirting is all very expensive. My cost on those product is more than my total installation price of LifeStyles Vinyl Skirting (standard vinyl skirting).

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Brenda (OH)

Yup, pressure wash the home, rinse well, and once dried, use the Duration.

I have done two homes with it, one just the top stripe, the other the top stripe in one color, and the bottom of the wall in another color... looks great....

I cut in with a brush, and rolled the bigger areas... I did the painting in the month of July, and I did have to be sure to put the lid back on the 5 gallon bucket, and add small dribbles of water and remix the paint in the paint tray, the water was evaporating out of the paint that fast.

You should prime any areas that are rusted or stained, otherwise, if the color is dark enough, you will only need one coat of the Duration. I don't think it would work well to go from very dark to very light in one coat, but it is great paint, it just might do it for you.

I was trying to follow the shade around the home, but I ended up painting a lot of it with the sun on my back, and was buying gatorade by the case... definitely hold out for spring or fall season to paint if you can....lol

Brenda (OH)
kribarr

Thank you all for your input it has really been very useful!

I have no idea what we will do with the skirting I will have to let the hubby know the choices (as well as lay a copy of the book on his lap!)

I will definitely be using Duration since each of you has said it is great! I will be picking that color out soon ... hmmm flamingo pink, anyone?
Brenda (OH)

believe it or not, the next home I am renovating is a flamico pinky salmon pinky one.... all I can say is, the dark grass green complementing color was a good choice for the top stripe and the porch, the algae on the wood on the porch hardly shows at all

... and that the burgandy-colored plants that are in the flower beds really show up well against the white skirting lol. Not the colors I would have picked, but since I accidently ended up painting a home dark army green and light army green (the paint store tinted the 5 gallon can the accent color instead of the correct color and sold it to me at a discount) I am not the best judge lol.

Brenda (OH)
Groo

The one I'm fixing has had its siding replaced with vynil. its not holding up well. I plan on replacing with T111 wood panneling.

I'd probaly just continue what ever siding you choose down for skirting since you are planning on making it permanent. just uses presure trated lumber or concrete for were it touches the ground.