Low water pressure & softner question

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

BillA

Hi,

We just bought a manufactured home and are having two problems, first being the water pressure, it's very low, if you flush a toilet it takes a good 4-5 mins to refill, and forget trying to wash your hands while the toilet refills, tried to give the kids a bath yesterday and after 45 mins I had half a tub full but the warm water had cooled down too much so that was a joke.

I did check under the house and in the softner area for a whole house filter thinking that was clogged, also checked the under house crock to confirm it was fully open, I did notice water in the crock area, called park to ask them to come look at it but no reply yet, trying to determine what else to check or do on this, if it is a park thing (neighbor says theirs isn't great pressure wise but they can take a bath or flush toilet and wash hands at same time).

My 2nd question is about the water softener, first time using one so not exactly sure where to start here but when i look down into the tank where you put the salt its full of water, the water isnt very clean looking should I be getting that out before adding the salt? I read something online about resin in softeners is that resin or water i see in there? (not even sure what resin is) hehe, but i dont want to waste a good 30$ worth of salt in there if i should be emptying the water in there first (I do have a handy syphon pump and a big bucket so it would be no problem).

My neighbor said set the hardness to 30 so ill try that and follow the directions on the lid for setting the time and regen times, but just wasn't sure if i should do something with that water in there first before adding salt.

Thanks for the help and advice here, first home so everything is a new experience here for me but I do know some of the basics (check crock valve, check for whole house filter, etc).

Bill :)
BillA

Park Maintenance came and looked around inside and under and said the main water line from crock is 5/8ths yet the main line into the house by softener is 1/2 inch, so the 1/2 inch lines are causing a "bottleneck" and we need to replace them to 5/8 ths to restore full flow, does this sound correct to you guys?

I hate to go spend $$ on a plumber and then find out it didn't help, is there any sort of in line pump to help increase the pressure I could investigate or does changing the lines sound like the right place to start...

Bill
Greg

Hi & welcome. There is a big difference between pressure & volume. You can have 150 PSI in a 1/4" line and it will still take forever to fill the toilet, on the other end it will fill in no time with a 4" line.
It sounds like there is some sort of blockage in the system. You will need to start at the inlet and work your way back to find it. Start with the main valve, make sure it is opening all of the way. Be very suspicious of plastic body valves ( I would switch any you have to either stainless or brass). As I said it may take some time to find and if it is crud from hard water there could be more than one blockage.

Contact the softener manufacturer for their advise. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
BillA

I don't even know where to start trying to figure out what might be clogged, no plumbing experience, but they tell me the crock is fully open, and that the 5/8ths going down to 1/2 inch pipe on the main waterline into the house is where my problem is at, guess I will call a plumber to come out and give me an estimate, just hate to spend the $ to replace that line with 5/8ths then still be in the same boat (already a ton of other things to get fixed in the house) so budget is kinda wiped out here.

Bill
Northern Star

While the 1/2 main line is not correct, it should not be causing the problem as you describe it when only 1 fixture is running. Yes, it will cause a significant drop when you run a second fixture, like flushing the toilet while someone is in the shower. Maybe the problem is with the softener itself. If the softener has a bypass valve, which it should, try bypassing the softener and see if that helps (unless the bypass valve is plugged, of course :-) ).
BillA

I called a plumber from the phonebook that does manufactured homes his reply was its probably the parks pressure not your home and 1/2 inch pipe is common and shouldn't be an issue for having almost zero pressure, then wife called a plumber who we know that does manufactured home work as well, he said the best way to check all this is to stick a hose on the crock if there is a hose valve (said most do have them ontop or side) and see what the pressure from that coming out is, in general he said that pressure should shoot about 2-4 feet from the hose if not more, if not its most likely the crock valve or an underground issue, then to double check he would hook a compressor upto the main line of the house and blow air thru to check for any blockages in the house lines and check all the main fittings for any leaks or issues.

His estimate to do all this would be $125-$200 ughh but maybe thats a good deal i dunno, just no $ to do that but will see if there is a hose valve thing on the crock i can do that test with as a start point, the maintenance guy here just says i need to replace that 1/2 inch pipe so to him beyond just turning the crock valve to open thats as far as he seems to be willing to go.

I might go see if i can find that hose fitting thing and see if i can get any pressure from it, that might get me somewhere with the park if it is flowing slowly...

I will also check the softners bypass valve heck if thats not even on (it isnt plugged in yet) and the bypass valve isn't on bypass that could be part of the problem as well so will give that a shot too...

Just wish things were working ughh (welcome to home ownership) hehe, lots of little weird things needing attention replacement etc.

Thanks everyone for the input,

Bill
Brenda (OH)

there are low cost water pressure gauges, maybe 20 dollars or less

if the hardware can set up up with one and an adapter to screw it onto both a hose fitting and a faucet fitting, you may be able to check water pressure at the crock, before and after the water softener, at each sink etc and have a lot better idea of what is happening.

taking the aerators out of clogged faucets can get you some more flow sometimes... not work on the shower head or the tub one though....

Brenda (OH)
BillA

Ended up having a plumber come out, he confirmed at the crock we have full pressure so its in the house, first place it comes in is at the softener, we have a softener and iron collection tank? (not super familiar but think thats what he called it) we did try the bypass valve built on the water softener (no change in pressure) so he removed the softener and iron tank and bypassed that with a straight line feed, resolved all water pressure issues its darn good now, so something in that iron tank or softener is clogged up, im guessing since we did the water softerner bypass valve and saw no change its probably the iron tank (don't recall seeing or him saying he bypassed that at all), either way tho at least we can shower and such till we can afford to get the softener & iron collection tank thing refurbished or replaced.