replacing back door

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

voldo37

Well - my back door is falling apart and I really need to replace it. I would prefer to replace it with a normal sized door but am not very handy and would have no clue how to do it. I think I know someone that might be able to do it but I am worried about the siding around the door. My home was built in 1992 and the siding is deteriorating badly and really needs to be replaced but there is just no way I can afford that right now. My question is - since this back door is screwed to the siding - how tough is it going to be to remove it?? My worry is that when we try to remove it that the siding will fall apart and I will have an even bigger problem. Has anyone had this issue and if so what happened when they tried to remove the door??

thanks
Kurt
Greg

It sounds like you have a basic can of worms. You should be able to install a standard size door with some work. Measure first to be sure you have room. You will need to reframe the door, don't forget to allow for at least a double top header. You will need to be very gentle around the siding, I would use screws over nails to avoid the pounding damage from driving the nails. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Brenda (OH)

getting the door out is pretty basic, unscrew the screws, have some one push the door from inside gently, see if you missed any fasteners, have trim that has to be removed, any caulk or putty that has to be cut, person on the outside can have a small pry bar to gently help ease the door out....

if you go back in with the mobile home type door, you may have to add peel and stick or a flashing to the spot the siding doesn't cover or is broken, to give some protection to the outside wall material since you said fixing the siding cannot happen at this time. see if it makes sense to install it before sliding the door in, and have putty on the back of the door rim that the screws go through.... see I am going out on a limb here... if you should not put the door edge on top of the peel and stick flashing... please post that lol!

if you do the flashing and the mobile home style door, you may be able to put a wide trim piece that covers the broken ends of the siding by the door to cosmetically look better, while the flashing material will protect what the siding isn't covering

of course, all bets are off if you find rotted material where you have to attach the door... you will have to repair the wall material and get a solid structure to attach to....

Brenda
Groo

cut a sheet of plywood the correct size, and screw it to the door. this way your door will last untill you can do the siding and pay to get a "real" door installed.

my guess is it will be a somewhat major job to do what you want. I am doing now what you are considering. There is all sorts of rot. I am replacing the whole section of wall to replace the front door.

I am planning on just cutting down a standard door to fit the back door.
Brenda (OH)

Groo,

that is a neat idea that I am going to try on the bottom section of a door that is flexing on the bottom. I think the board inside the veneer on the bottom of the door has broken from being forced open and getting stuck on the floor inside the door... just painting and installing plywood or a board on the door on that part of the door may stiffen it up enough to keep the present door... other than the bottom of the door, the door fits well, it just feels very flimsy with the flexing and play in it at this time....

Brenda (OH)
voldo37

Well I got a new back door last friday and installed it with the help of a friend so I am very happy. I didn't have any problems getting the old one out and thankfully I measured correctly so the new one fit perfectly.

thanks
Kurt
JD
Site Admin

Congrats on the successful install! When you have not done a particular repair before, it often seems harder than it actually is when you get your hands on it. That is unless you think it will be a piece of cake. Then watch out!

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.