Vapor barrier under Floating Flooring?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Lorne

Our sun porch apparently was begun as an "open" outdoor porch with 2x8's laid horizontally to the lengthwise floor joists. It is 28x10.

When it was decided to make it an "Indoor" fully enclosed porch, 9 standard windows and 1/4" OSB flooring were installed. No insulation is under the porch, just skirting.

If I lay a floating Pergo floor down would you recommend a poly barrier under the Pergo on top of the 1/4 inch OSB?

A neighbor suggested Tyvek, but that is for vertical use,as far as I know.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
Greg

Most laminate floor manufacturers recommend a barrier, usually a Styrofoam type. Some incorporate it onto the flooring.

1/4" OSB?? Is that over the top of decking? 1/4" is too thin to use alone. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Lorne

Yeah, 1/4" OSB on top of 2x8 which were the original porch floor until he decided to enclose it. It feels really solid when walked on. I'm going to drop 1/2" ply over top of it before the Pergo.
Seems he built things with what he could find. An odd door here and an odd window there.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
Brenda (OH)

the thickest mil plastic drop cloth on the rolls ( 6mil) has been used by some folks as a vapor barrier under the laminate flooring, but that was inside the mobile homes... it is very low cost, and can just be stapled to the floor, run up the walls slightly, you can even staple it to the wall there if you can get it flat, and install the trim over it.

not going to get any noise reduction or insulating properties from it... just block the vapors and breezes lol.

the foam would perhaps give you a little insulation quality, noise reduction, and vapor barrier.

Brenda (OH)

Brenda (OH)