Walk in Shower

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

MobileMike

I would like to start of by saying I love this forum, I have learnt so much, thanks.
I have a Mid 70's Atco single wide 14x70 and am in the middle of a complete reno on the bathroom. The bathroom is 7'1"w by 10'4", is it possible to put in a walk in shower with no door, with a pony wall that is half glass blocks. I was thinking of putting the shower along the 7' section outside wall with the shower head coming from the inside wall. Is this to heavy for the floor to support? (the floor joists are 1.5x7")
One other question what is the difference between the brass/copper fittings compared to the plastic quick connect for use with the PEX pipe? for my water lines.

Thanks
Greg

Hi & welcome. The short answer is YES it is possible, But I am not sure I would recommend it. Water is your home's worst enemy, You would need to find a way to make the floor & walls 100% waterproof. You are wise to consider the weight issue, Blocking could be added for extra support, You have 2x8 joists, They may have been an upgrade when the home was built I am not familiar the the brand.

The difference between the fittings, the brass/copper usually use a crimp ring (unless you use the push lock type) . The plastic type are OK as an emergency fix, But I would not trust them as a permanent repair. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
MobileMike

What do you think about those push lock types? or am I better with the crimp style?
Mid 70's Atco single wide 14x70 , 2x4 construction
joedirt63

hello there's a brand of push ;ock called shark bites, they are the best thing toplumbing since copper and solder. ha ha , i have them installed every place i need a shut off ,they also have transition adapters ,and valve assmblies,and the best thing is you can use them on copper pvc, quest and pex. i know i have a little of every thing in my house.
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me
Greg

If you have a crimper I would use the crimp rings, but the push lock type do seem to work well. You may want to total up the costs and factor them in. The Push lock type do get a little expensive if you need a lot of them.

The crimp tool can get expensive if you have to buy on, but Mark has a "Pocket crimper" in the store here, it is not fast, but it does work. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Brenda (OH)

I know everyone will gasp, but I had a shark bite fail, it probably froze.... it was installed correctly...It leaked in the middle of the piece, above the handle, not where parts where the pipes pop in...

The store replaced it for free, but we all were puzzled at that, it was the first one failing I had ever heard about... at least I was lucky, it was the shut-off valve, and it was under neath the home...

Brenda (OH)
GraceNC

MobileMike, was planning to do the same thing. I'm moving a wall in the bedroom (was a closet with the shower/tub on the other side) so as to give me a few more feet in the bathroom.

Come back and give us updates from time to time.
I plan on using the cement board with waterproofing membrane. I want the floor to be the pebbles- smooth ones that don't hurt your feet.
MobileMike

After getting advise from this forum and going out and pricing the parts the crimp style is the best. For $20.00 I can use the crimp styles and that will do the entire bathroom. For $250.00 I can use the push types for the same job. To top it all off my neighbor down the road has a professional crimper I can use!!!
Thanks For the Advise
Mid 70's Atco single wide 14x70 , 2x4 construction