Philips "crank out" windows - help please

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

pamnelson

I have a 1972 Victorian with Philips "crank out" windows. Some of them don't close all the way, and some don't work at all. I have Googled but cannot find anywhere that has instructions on how to replace the crank operators, bearings etc. I can't afford new windows so I have to try and repair them. Can anyone here help me? Thanks in advance.
Brenda (OH)

this is a store in Ohio that has repair parts for windows... you may want to look at their website, and see if your region has a window repair company that would be similar.
http://www.pickenswindowparts.com/

if you cannot find such a store, maybe call this one, and see if you can mail a crank and get a quote on their replacement parts. I can tell you that big size cranks ran me $20 or $30. I hope smaller ones would cost less.

I hope you have a newer home, and it is only cranks you need....

I get standard size mobile home windows $50 to $70 range and install them. .small window may cost less.... could you save up and do a mobile home window with an interior storm window one at a time? they are not that difficult to install, unless the frame rotted out in the wall, then you get into some carpentry....

I guess I said all that to say, parts for windows add up.... lets say $15 crank, $15 new screen $5 in caulk around the outside, and you have a working, old, window. that is still a crank out window, that leaks air.....maybe you can get a new seal or something that makes it more air tight, $10, About $45.....still an older window... unless the home is newer, crank out windows are not a great design.....

for maybe $60 to $70 you would have a new mobile home window and screen. (prices vary, I drive to a catalog store and pick up windows the day I need them, ordering and getting windows delivered I don't have prices) that is more air tight, opens and closes smoothly, and of course, you are not getting a crank out window, you are getting a sliding window, a lot less air leaks overall when closed.....

I renovate mobile homes, and if I have crank out windows, I replace them, unless they are in the door, then I screw them shut... but these are 30 year old homes.

hope that helps get you started.... remember, i am picturing horrible 30 yr plus old windows, you just may have a great window with a worn out crank lol

Brenda (OH)