Find the problems - win a mug #3

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Mark
Site Admin

Once again, the first person to answer the questions correctly will win a mug and a $10 off coupon to our new store http://www.aberdeenhomerepair.com.

Pictured below is a main waterline. Tell me 3 three main things wrong with this picture, and 2 things they did right. There's actually about 5 things wrong with this picture, but I'm looking for 3 key things but will consider other answers if nobody nails it on the head before next Friday, April 9. Good luck!

Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You can't fail if you don't try!
steelworkersgal

Wrong
1. No heat tape.

2.Its exposed above ground

3.It has a covering of some sort over the pipe.

4. I don't see a shutoff valve

Right

1. I do see insulation towards bottom of hole
2. They encased where the water comes up through the ground.
You can do anything if you put your mind to
joedirt63

well i don't see any shut off valve, the supply pipe should be supported,insulation can't be doing any good being open and flying around,should be wraped better. vertical pipeshoulp be potable water quality metal,for strenght. aw hell the whole thing should be dug up and refitted with nice elbow and a valve then boxed, and remaineder set in ground beloww frost line. ''thats all i got to say bout that. "{forest gump}
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me
Lorne

You say "Main Waterline", but it looks more like a "Waste Hose and NOT a potable line.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
Greg S

Not properly supported
No shut off.
Improperly installed (or wrong type) heat tape.

I assume that black wrap is some type of heat tape.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
GraceNC

I'm not eligible to win but since it's been a few days since anyone has tried- I'd like to comment. This site teaches me so much and I love these 'find the problems' as I learn from them.

But if this is a main water line- and not a drain-
water doesn't go uphill, or shouldn't so the regulator should be going out the side of the water meter then the piping should be at least 18 inches undergound.

It seems there is a twisty thing on there, like a coupling- don't know what it's called. But joints that twist on/off cannot be buried or even in the floor- they have to be exposed. In this case there should just be one pipe w/o junctions/couplings for the elbow. But really should be one line from the regulator to the house.
DaleM

Heat tape wrapped too close together.
No insulation on line over heat tape.
Line lying on ground/unsupported.
No cover on vault/riser.
Hard to tell from pic but that may be a thermostat wrapped under heat tape. (lower right in pic)
Wookie

Bad
#1 No shut off valve
#2 That type of heat tape (I believe it is heat tape it looks like) should not be wraped around the pipe it should be flat and taped down every 8-10in?
#3 no insulation on pipe (what good is heat tape if it is not insulated??)
#4 Pipe should be off of the grould (suport of some type)
#5 No lid and improper insulation on pipe riser (where the pipe comes up from ground)
Good ??
#1 They did use a heat tape??
#2 it had some insulation??
#3 Nice size of pipe leeding to house??

Im lost not sure if i can see what is good on the pic?? :)
JD
Site Admin

The focus is pretty good. :)
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
DaleM

Along with my other response:
Pex tubing being used for a main supply. Most towns near me require 3/4" copper tubing for a main water supply. Heat tape is also slightly overlapping itself. Most tapes of that nature require they not overlap or touch a previous wrap. Probably not a good idea not to have that type of heat tape over Pex tubing either. An easily accessible main valve would be nice but there may be one in the riser, that is how most of them are in the area I work in. May also be an easy access valve at the other end of the water service prior to it entering the home. Pic does not show that much of the service.
Mark
Site Admin

Thanks everyone for your responses. Here's the answers I was looking for:
Bad:
1. Improperly heat taped. In fact, so much heat tape was used on the waterline that its now a fire hazzard.
2. Heat tape was not covered. It should be covered with no more than 1/2" thick fiberglass insulation. Should then be a vapor barrier over the insulation.
3. Waterline should not be lying on ground.
4. No shut-off.
5. Not much of a cover over the riser. The heat tape does not go all the way to the bottom of that riser. To keep the bottom of the waterline thawed requires ground heat. To keep the heat in the riser you need a good insulated top.

Good:
1. Back-flow valve. It's hard to see it in the picture, so nobody guessed it. But having a double back-flow valve is extremely important for the safety of any town's water system.
2. 3/4" pex waterline. Pex is allowed in most communities. But the important factor is that the size is 3/4" and not 1/2" or smaller.

As for a winner, I had to pick 2 people. DaleM and Wookie. DaleM was close with his 2 posts, but then Wookie posted between the two posts. So DaleM and Wookie, send me your mailing address and I'll get you a mug and a $10 certificate to our newest website. As for the previous winners, your mugs will be mailed out this coming week.

Thanks everyone for participating. Watch for the next contest. . . . .

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!