Plumbing for kitchen sink?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Rhonda

I thought I fixed the leak under my kitchen sink, only to find out last night it didn't work. I don't have pics to post, but is there a standard size pipe that is used in our homes? I cannot take the pipe off to measure and I don't guess well. We live in a 2001 Victorian. I am a do it yourself kind of gal, so no plumbers allowed in my home...way too much money for a little fix like that. If you have advise it would be much appreciated. TIA!
Northern Star

Drain or supply? The drain should be 1 1/2" PVC. The supply should be 1/2" copper, CPVC or PEX. If it is CPVC or PEX, you may be able to find a marking to confirm this.
Rhonda

It is drain....ALL DRAIN! I have two leaks. Thanks for the response. Sorry I wasn't more clear which one it was.
Greg

It should be a standard size drain pipe. Either ABS or PVC Usually 1 1/2" Any hardware store or home center should have what you need. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Brenda (OH)

you may be able to match up the pipe size by wrapping the tape around the pipe in place, get a total measurement, then do the same measurement on the possible replacement pipes....

Brenda (OH)
JD
Site Admin

Sounds like you are talking about the P-trap, tail piece part of the drain. This would be 1 1/2" or 1 1/4". Be sure your plastic washers have the thin edge pointing up into the part that turns. If they are old parts, replace them.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.