Replaceing floor under outside walls

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

I have some bad spots in my floors under the windows. I 'am going to replace the floor with 3/4 plywood but I need to slide it under the outside walls . As the floor is gone under the wall in some areas. I will also be replacing the outside perimeter 2x6 with a pressure treated 2x6 on the out riggers. Has any one done this and what should I watch out for.

Thanks
Harry

Hi

Been there, done that.

Sometimes the flooring is not ruined all the way to the outside.

Look at my photos and there’s one of a rim joist replacement which includes some flooring, floor joist and wall stud repair. On this job I also replaced the siding. One this job I replaced the entire rim joist the whole length of the home only working 8’ at a time. I also did some bracing so the wall wouldn’t sag on me.

You will encounter a bazillion staples. I used a sawsall a lot. Watch out for the wiring. Be sure to reuse or replace the nail guards for the wiring as you reassemble.

I jacked the rim joist in place and used 3” deck screws to attach to the floor joists. Some the floor joists and wall studs had to be sistered with screws and construction adhesive.

Come back with any questions.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Greg

As Harry said it is a lot of work, but if can be done. I used a sawsall & SHARP 3/4" chisel. plan on hitting nails and having to sharpen it a few times. You may want to sister a 2x on the rim for extra nailing. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Brenda (OH)

Harbor freight has a pry tool that fits into MH staples, it is a chisel at one end, and a tool that looks like a split hammer head on the other end. (if you can picture an upside down goats hoof shape that is what is looks like) it works great at getting the staples out...

I really feel a lot of sympathy for you having a floor repair at the wall to do. I spent a lot of this past winter attaching two layers of 2 x4 onto walls to hold up the edges of the floors I was replacing. I ended up replacing about half the floors in the mobile home. I finally realized if I would wear knee pads, I was not nearly as sore and tired at the end of the day lol

Brenda
JD
Site Admin

All of the posts above are great. I would only add that like the nail plates Harry mentioned, you should find some galvanized nail straps. When you are removing siding to get to the rim joist these are better replaced than bent out of the way and bent back when you are done. Also, if you use deck screws or nails in the pressure treated wood, be sure they are made specifically for pressure treated wood. The new pressure treat will eat a zinc plate screw is a couple of years.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.

Thanks for the info. I do have stainless steel screws for treated wood.I will also be rebuilding part of the wall to remove a bow window and residing, I'm sure I will be on this site alot as I rebuild this home. I have done a lot of stick build projects but have never seen construction methods Like a mobile home it will be interesting.
Thanks Again
lonestar1947

Ugh! Now that the weather is better, I'll be rebuilding a rear corner of my mobile.

Part of the floor is rotten, part of the back wall, and part of the side wall. It should be an interesting project. Has anyone here had to rebuild a corner of their home?
troyster

been there done that Harry -not a fun or fast job