Venting our Dryer

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

luvnaz

Our dryer vents through a hole in the floor behind the dryer and down into the crawlspace. The previous owners did not have a lint collection system or route it to the outside of the house. They just had the hose hanging down in the crawlspace. The crawlspace has quite a bit of lint on the ground and walls and it isn't a good thing!

I have made a lint collection system to collect the lint, but I want a better venting system.

We want to cut a hole in the side of the house where the laundry room is and vent the dryer there. The place where the new vent would exit the house is away from the deck and would be about 4-5 ft off the ground.

Is this a good idea? What if any are some concerns we might have by cutting a hole in the side of the house for the vent? We have vinyl siding.

Our house has a brick foundation not skirting. Otherwise we'd vent the dryer from the crawlspace where it is now to the outside. But the only way to do that would be to either cut the brick or make a hole in the small ventilation "windows" down there.

Thanks,
Mary
Greg

You are correct that it is not vented correctly, You need to get it vented to the outside. Many homes run an electric cable down the length of the wall, It is often run about the same height as the wall outlets. You can open up the siding some and try to see it. If it is clear and make you hole there, or cut a hole through the bricks. The important thing is to get it vented to the outside. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
luvnaz

Thank you!
Arlo

Do you have foundation vents? You could take a vent out and have a piece of exterior grade plywood cut the same size as the vent. Home Depot/Lowes can cut to your measurements. Then you need to cut a round hole to fit a vent kit. I would paint all sides and edges of the plywood before putting it in the foundation. Screws and construction adhesive should hold it. If you have to put a hole in your brick though, look into renting a hammer drill.