Leaky Window

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

garypely

Okay, I have a leaky window in my 96 doublewide. The leak is in the inside, we have lived here since april of last year and have not had any problems. I looked on the other messages and have come across where people mentioned that it could be from the shingles or along the window trim on the outside.

We have ice melting off the roof and I believe that it is coming in from the window trim. Is it best to wait and seal it after it dries when this ice melt is over?
Brenda (OH)

you probably will have to wait, so that the wet materials dry out it would not be ideal to seal the moisture inside

also, most caulks, sealants etc are temperature rated, and it would be hard to find one that would work in the current conditions....

maybe you can put some blue painting tape over the trim to deflect some of the water.

are you absolutely sure it is a leak and not condensation?

Brenda (OH)
Greg

If it is a snow/ice situation I would get as much cleared as possible to reduce the amount of what could leak in. If you happen get a day that is warm & dry enough and can find the leak you could try sealing it up at least until spring. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
garypely

Brenda, that is a great idea, I never thought of it. I will throw some tape or something up there to try to deflect the water. It is a constant drip. I think I see the problem where it is coming down off the roof, then down the siding. It is on the living room window.