Snow/ice on roof

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

sparks3815

We have a '86 Friendship. New roof about 6 years ago. New vinyl siding about 4 years ago. We live in Mpls. Mn. There is ice all along the edges of the home. The water runs down and clings to the house to form ice all the way down and all around the house.
Should I pull the snow off the roof and try to get rid of the ice or just let nature take its course. There is probably about 6+ inches up there.
I do not understand why so much ice on the house. Both contractors were excellent and did the type of job they should have. I guess I would have thought with better insulation, plus, that it would not have this problem.

Thank you
Sherrie
Greg

I always try to keep the roof clear of snow, I don't like more than 6" on it. If you use a roof rake and keep up with it, it take about a half hour to do. I also pull any "loose" ice off. If you have large amounts of ice you are best to leave it and let it melt. Once you have a system started, you will not have large amounts of ice because you will have removed the snow that causes it. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
sparks3815

Thank you for your quick response
dinotoad

My mobile home is used for a summer home, so I am not there to rake the roof. My mobile is in Flagstaff AZ and the neighbor said they had 5 feet of snow. He offered to shovel my roof for $250. That seemed like a lot of money for something that may need to be done again. So we told them we would risk it. What to you think?

Our mobile is a 12x65 and to complicate things it has a covered porch for about 3/4 of the length. The porch has less slope and causes the snow to accumulate and also hard to rake.
Greg

If it is a true 5 feet, $250 is cheap insurance. A collapsed roof is going to be a lot more to repair. That is A LOT of weight. My concern would be how they shoveled it. The extra weight of a person on the roof could be the straw that breaks it's back. Greg
redneeckgirl

We like to salt our roof when we see big storms coming in... we have 16' X 80' shingle roof. We just walk around the perimeter throwing it up n over (minding that you look down so you don't get it in your eyes, or wear saftey glasses) what are your thoughts on salting?
1997 Shultz 16X80, shingle roof, vinyl siding. NE Indiana.
Working on a 'face-lift' remodel so we can sell and move to Florida.
Greg

If you saw the vehicles here after a few years of road salt you would understand my hesitation. I personally would not use it because of the effects, both to the plants ant the home. Salt really does not have an effect on heavy snowfall I still stand by the roof rake. It's a little harder on the back & arms, but you know the roof is clear. Greg
Steve S.

I actually climb a ladder and get onto my roof and shovel off the entire surface if the snow depth is 6" or better...luckily I am still physically able to do this. I have a regular asphalt-shingled roof which is 25 years of age and still looks remarkedly good, probably the result of my diligence in keeping it snow and ice-free for all these years...walking over the entire roof regularly also allows me to look for any damaged areas/potential leaks. Recaulking all the vents, pipes, etc. on an annual basis also helps(unfortunately mobile homes have many...I have five air vents alone). Remember my good friends that the roof of your home is probably the most important defense against water intrusion from Nature's fury and should be inspected regularly.