8' ceilings common?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

peachlizard

Just buying a mobile on 2 acres and found it interesting that it has 8' ceilings throughout, flat ceilings, not cathedral. Does this mean anything worthwhile? It was manufactured in 78, its declared a 79 model I believe. IN very good condition. It has a very nice house type built family room added on. Its 12x20, the only thing that concerns me is what I read about attaching additions to a mobile in the repair manual you guys put out. The addition is on a concrete slab and has sheetrock walls which are still in good shape, not cracked, and the mobile home (12x65) is just skirted with vinyl with paneling throughout. The roof over has been done to cover over both mobile and addition with a metal peaked roof. Anything we need to watch for as far as the addition where it joins the mobile? Should we put perimeter blocks in to help anything? It may already have them, to tell you the truth I don't remember. I didn't write it down, but the manufacturer's panel inside the kitchen cabinets said the brand name was some name that was all letters. Is there a lot of manufacturers in the late 70's with just letters as the name? The walls appear to be 2x3. And the package was made for the south with min snow load. Thanks for any info., EJ
Old Ticker
DCDiva

Hi I do not know the answer--but 8 ft ceiling are good thing-- we are currently gutting our 2 mh 1973 and 74--could you send me a photo of your mh--as we are going to add an addition and a metal peaked roof over both and would love to see it already done to send privately [email protected] Thank you
Greg

Unless the walls were just done or repaired I don't think I would worry too much.

An 8' ceiling is rare, I don't think I have ever seen a flat 8'. The home may be a pre HUD home. that was about the time that HUD got involved in the mobile home industry. Many manufacturers closed their doors rather than get involved with the new regulations, even the ones that were exceeding the standards.

If you have the manufacturer's name you could try googleing it. Someone here, I think it was Yanita that found this link. Greg

http://www.mobilehome.net/Tradename/index.htm
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."