selling a mobile home water heater...

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

peachlizard

We just bought a mobile on 2 acres and it has a less than 4 yr old replacement mobile home electric water heater. Also a water softener same age, we're getting ready to hook everything up and want to put an on demand gas water heater in both the bathroom and kitchen (other end of trailer), so we are going to sell this specific water heater and also the water softener. We're wondering, how much to ask for either of them, but specifically the MH water heater. We read in the repair manual these are more expensive to buy new instead of a house type replacement water heater. And are there any special things we need to know before doing this? Other than the obvious rerouting of hot water lines and main supply line? One more thing It's a Nordyne water heater. Thanks, EJ in Arkansas
Old Ticker
ponch37300

Personally I wouldn't buy a used water heater. I just replaced my water heater this fall and it was only 9 years old. Granted with some maintenance they can last longer but I would never buy a used one that's life is half over.

Since you are installing 2 seperate "on demand" heaters I would assume you are going with the electric heaters? You should check on how many amps they draw and see if your electric service is big enough to handle these. Most of these are around 50 amps a piece and most electrical services are 100 amps which wouldn't be good to run two of these.
Greg

As Ponch said I personally would not buy a used heater, but you could put it on Craigs list and see what happens. Start at a hundred and go from there, it's easier to go down in price than up.
See if there are any listings for water softeners to get an idea for that price. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Greg S

Something else to keep in mind with on demand water heaters is they do not operate properly with low water pressure. If you are on a well you may have problems at times. Confirm what the water pressure requirements are for the units.

In addition replacement parts are quite expensive, confirm that parts are readily available for your unit.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
Yanita

There are many threads on the on demand water heaters. Make sure to check with your insurance company, I wanted a gas one and they said no, not MH rated.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!