replacing a rotten rim joist

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

saler1

We are in dire need of replacing a rotten rim joist, but have no clue as to where to start or what to do. Help PLEASE !!!!!!!!!
Yanita

Hi,

I have never done this personally, but I know that one of our forum members..."Harry" has. I am sure if you do a search for his past post you could find some great info...

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
JD
Site Admin

To best answer your question, we would need to know more about your siding. What type is it. Is there an attached awning? Also, how much rim joist are you replacing?

Basically, it amounts to removing the siding beyond the damaged area in both directions and replacing the damaged wood. There should be two 2x6s (or bigger in newer some homes) that have staggered joints. Maybe not in a pre-HUD home. As you remove the rim joists, some of the floor joists or wall framing may relax and lower a bit. This can be put back into place with jacks. Also, once you uncover the damage area, you may find water damaged floor joists and wall studs. You can cut out the damaged wood and "sister" appropriate lumber to repair this.

If you are unsure of any part of this repair, I highly recommend that you hire a competent licensed contractor. You may be able to save on charges by removing and re-installing the siding yourself.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Yanita

Thanks for the assist JD! This is one of those times when we had the old photo album, Harry had some good pics...

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!