MH inspection

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

beachpeach

Hello, I have just joined this forum, as my husband and I are in the process of closing on a MH. I have enjoyed reading some of the threads, but I have a question of my own. My husband is planning to do the inspection on the home, a 1993 model according to tax records. Does anyone have suggestions as to what specific problems to mobile homes he should look for? He plans to crawl underneath and look at the belly for damage. All suggestions would be welcome. Thanks in advance. BP
p.s. Hope this is the right place for this question
Greg

Hi & welcome. At the beginning of the topics for this section of the forum are sticky notes. There is one by Yanita "Buying a used mobile home" There is a complete check list of things to look for in the home.

Once you find a home there are still a few things you need to think about when it comes to setting the home on the lot. Check with the codes officials in your area to see what is required for piers that support the home & tie downs. Make sure the home is properly leveled with a water level, lasers, do not see around the piers, and a carpenters level will not work over a span of 50-80 feet. Plumbing & electrical make sure everything is connected right & supported. Make sure there are no leaks and heat & insulation are in place if you are in a cold region. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
beachpeach

Thanks Greg, and thanks Yanita for that incredibly detailed list!So many things we wouldn't have thought of. Sorry I didn't look at that before I posted my question. :D BP
Greg

Glad we could help, that's why we are here. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi,

I can not take all the credit, our forum members passed along info as well! But thanks for the compliment of our great forum.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!