Wall recepticals not attached to studs?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Lorne

I'm like a kid in a candy store on this site. It offers so much.

Well then, to my question.
There are a number of interior electrical wall outlets that are NOT attached to studs, but only through the thin paneling below the chair rails. They flex when you put a plug in.
Was this normal and acceptable in 1987.
Doesn't look like to Code to me, but maybe in SC it was ok in '87.

My wife was in a hurry to get it painted after we moved in,
so I didn't take the time to rip out the lower paneling to relocate them.

Is or was this a normal installation method in '87?
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
Greg

Funny that you should ask that, that style of electrical has been a curse to Mobile homes for years. Care to guess what the folks that build stick built home just "discovered"??

Most of us either deal with them or change to stud mounted boxes and replace sheetrock. the choice is yours, it all depends on how much work you feel like doing. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Lorne

It's a sad day for the building industry when they start doing that.

This house reminds me of the movie "The Money Pit", but on a much smaller scale. It is fun though because I am retired and love working with my hands.
I should start a Blog on it. They might buy it as a movie.

They could call it "The School for the Blind Builds a Mobile Home".
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
June

My '89 14 wide had receptacles installed as you describe. One by one I've moved them to a stud, but my job is simpler because I don't have paneling, just that vinyl coated gypsum board which I've painted, using primer for plastic surfaces, so patching the old hole is relatively simple.
Jim from Canada

Yup, got them here too! Not as many as there once was. They are getting replace with "normal" ones. The ones that attach to sheathing are junk!

Jim

My 1980 SW has the same ones. They are not anchored to anything but are secured by the "winged" screws that swing out when you tightened the screw and braces it against the wall. Mine are one piece slide outs and have dealt me fits. Over a period of time they become loose and one or both plugs no longer work/work correctly due to loose wires. Once Y and Audie explained to me how to replace them (I don't like to do electrical jobs since it bites back) I began replacing the non-working ones and now I am slowing making my way through replacing them all with standard, sturdier ones. Same goes for the light switches. When your lamp won't work and you can push the wall behind the plug until it "gives a bit" then you get a quick glint of light, then you know you have been touched by the curse of the mobile homes. It is time consuming to replace them, but well worth the headache and battle against cheapie construction in the long run.
Maureen

Hi Lorne! Welcome to the forum and mobile home life!

Yep, the curse of those electrical plugs! They are a nightmare!

If you're handy, have the time and money, move them to a standard box, against a stud. You'll be much happier down the road.

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'