Question About Rope Caulk

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

marriednamobile

Using rope caulk seems like a better option for some larger gaps I have in the corners of my rooms vs using the foam rod.
Q- Can I use rope caulk as a backer rod, then top with paintable caulk for a smooth finish?
The flower that blooms in adversity is the rarest, and most beautiful of all.
Greg

If you have it, it should work fine. I think rope caulk has gone the way of the dinosaurs with the advent of "foam in a can" You can fill about any size gap with it, but it can be messy. Make sure you use gloves if you do use foam. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Brenda (OH)

another thing I use for bigger gaps is sill insulation. it is a pink foam, you can tear it by hand to pack a gap, and put the caulk in front of it also.

best thing I like about that product, is that it is easy on my hands. and being able to tear it to size. I sometimes use a spatula to push it into the gap.

Brenda (OH)
WildIrish

I bought some rope caulk, and I hate it. It's stiff and sticky, very hard to manipulate. Maybe it's because I bought the Ace brand instead of a major brand. Either way, I ended up ripping the stuff out and using regular caulk to fill the gaps, even the large ones. Much better! :)
[img]http://i30.tinypic.com/2v9p75c.gif[/img]