I think I saw it move...

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Mark440

I have a DW with the vinyl skirting...and down the front side is a deck that runs the whole length. The place sits into a bit of a slope/hill with the back side of the DW having the ground level come about 1.5 feet up the side of the skirting.

Last summer, I began re-finishing the deck and so I cut the deck boards back from the skirting by about 1.5". This last weekend I noticed that the deck boards are up against the skirting again.

And now I am thinking the place is going to fall off the cinder blocks it sets on. And - I am more than a bit nervous about crawling under the place to see if everything is tilted to one side. That said, I am also nervous that the water and sewer lines are getting bent/stretched.

Is the ground/soil on the back side pushing the place over? I can dig it all out...but what do I put in place to keep it from happening again? How do I pull the entire place back the other direction (away from the deck)?

I tried wiggling my nose and muttering Shazaam! - but that didn't work! :)
Opportunity has a shelf life.
Greg

You are going to have to open up the skirting and at least stick your head in to get a look at what is really happening.

Since I don't know how long and what your home is set on I really can't guess what is going on. If you have had heavy rains it may be settling some. In all honesty 1 1/2" is not that much, Here we can have frost heave move things around more than that.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Mark440

Greg,
That is a bit of relief as we have had a very wet winter down here in north Texas. I probably should still dig all that dirt away from the back side so it isn't "pushing" against the house. Still, I don't know what to use to keep more dirt at bay (retaining wall???)

When the unit was set - they dug a square hole, covered it with plastic, and then set up cinder blocks under the frame. Wood shims are used for the finer adjustments.

As silly as it sounds, I am more nervous about the place falling off the blocks and causing my train collection to fall of the shelves than anything else! LOL!! Busted up engines ain't worth much on eBay!!
Greg

If all they did was to level up a dirt pad and then set blocks on top of it, I would question the installation. Generally there is either a cement pad poured or footers poured before the blocks are set. If your blocks are set on bare ground and you have had wet weather then they may very well be sinking slightly.

The bare ground method (up here) went out in the mid 90's due to building code updates. you may want to check your local codes to see what they call for. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi,

Here in the south Greg, it is still not uncommon for the blocks to be set on the ground without pads. I would still find out what code is for your area. I would certainly remove the dirt that is building up againt the side of the skirting. I would also build a retaining wall out of a substantial material. Once that is done I would also consider a french drain or another type of draining system.

Your discription sounds as though all water run off comes off an embankment and flows under your home or at least in that direction. Having plastic on the ground (vapor barrior) is a good thing providing the water is under it, BUT not on top of it. That would provide for alot of water that will stagnant, cause mold and mildew issues under the home.

As Greg said, at least pop off a couple sections of skirting and look at those piers and also see what is under there for standing water if any.

Although an 1 to 1 1/2 may not be significant to some it would certainly alarm me if my deck is pushing against my home. Is your deck below the rim of the home or above? If it is below structurally your home should be fine, it will only cause damage to the skirting. Although railings will/could push on the home. Is your deck completely free standing, no ledger boards attaching the coach to the deck"

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Mark440

When I first bought the place and the rains came, the "hole" filed up with about a foot of water. I got out my faithful Kubota and dug out the lower end to provide a drain path. Then I went around the house and made sure the slope was away from the house.

The supporting cinder blocks are right about 4 ft high on the one end...and only about 2 feet high on the other. The cinder blocks sit on bare ground (on top of the plastic sheeting)...and the cemented tie downs are a joke. The VA required the tie-downs (seller paid) to be in cement, so the guy took a claw hammer cleared a 2" to 3" deep hole around each ...and filled it with cement mix. Real high quality work.

Out here in the sticks, I don't think there is much for codes outside of a bathroom and a septic tank! :) And the bathroom is probably optional! LOL

I believe I can dig the dirt back five or six feet, and then put in a 16-20" retaining wall with those inter-locking "stones" from HomeDepot.

The deck is fully free standing and sits below the frame-line. I had cut back the house side with the intentions of trimming it out with a 1x4. I can cut it back again - but think I had best deal with the dirt first.

Then - if it moves again....I guess I better tie some rope around some trees and hope it doesn't fall over!!
Yanita

Hi Mark,

OK, sounds like you got a handle on what you need to do and with what you have already done. Lucky you to own a kubota, Hubby wants one as well!

Glad to hear the deck is free standing, many people attach them and it causes major problems to the home.

If you are still getting alot of run off under your home you might want to consider installing some catch basins around your home. This is like mini manholes, it is easy to do especially since you have the kubota to do the diggin for you. Water causes the most damage to our homes, including standing water that will eventually evaporate and cause mold/mildew.

Depending on your weather, high winds, hurricanes etc, you might want to consider a more secure pier/tie down system.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!