How effective is Peel and Stick for total re-roof ?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

TheyCallMeDave

On my MH, I have asphalt shingles and am getting close to needed a new roof. I see Peel and Stick (from Lowes store) comes in 33" widths x 50' long...and was contemplating doing the whole roof with it , then maybe applying White Elastomeric Paint over the top. Whats your thoughts on this idea , and, have you re-roofed using Peel and Stick for the entire roof or a huge section of it ?? How did it hold up ? Thanks.
flcruising

Dave,

I'm not sure of any 'Peel & Stick' underlayment that doesn't require a finished roof convering. Elastomeric wouldn't be considered a covering. If anything, I would say use rolled asphalt because it's cheap, then a heavy coat of elastomeric.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
TheyCallMeDave

Aaron, On the back of the Elastomeric Paint can, its says not to be used on asphalt. Although I think that Silver something product can be that Lowes sells. Did you ever get around to doing your solar water heater ? Ive got the plans drawn up for mine and will start it in the spring. Im swapping out the water heater this week and got a MH type water heater that has plugged ports in the top which will make it a breeze for the solar collector thats coming. I thought id elevate the water heater on some concrete blocks to get it up higher so the water head requirements are less for the pump .
flcruising

Dave, there are elastomeric manufacturers that say they are allowed for shingles. Lanco was the brand I was looking at last year. Here's a link.

http://www.lancopaints.com/english/prod ... ating.html

No, I haven't done anything with my solar water heater. I just can't get ahead of home projects so I can get to doing something fun like this. It's hard to get motivated too when it just doesn't warm up enough to even paint. Plus the addition of another baby takes up time too (though I'm not complaining).

Do keep me in mind though if you need some help with it come spring.
TheyCallMeDave

Aaron, Do i use the Urethanizer or the Lanco Seal , and whats the difference ? Both are for asphalt shingles. This looks very promising . Thanks for the info. Yes, family before solar heating !
flcruising

Are you planning on reroofing with a Peel & Stick and asphalt shingles? What is the reasoning behind the elastomeric if you put on a new roof?
TheyCallMeDave

Since you introduced me to Lanco, im going the Lanco route without Peel and Stick. But which Lanco product do i use ... the Urethanizer or Lanco Seal ?
flcruising

Are you just going over your existing roof with this? It looks like the Urethanizer is a 2 coat whereas the Lanco Seal is a 4 coat. I think contacting the company directly would be the best route. Keep in mind that this can get expensive, with so many coats to do and only about 50-60ft^2 per gallon. Seeing that it's sold at Home Depot, I wouldn't trust their knowledge to tell you the difference.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1 ... e=A&rpp=24
http://www.lancopaints.com/english/7.0.contactus.html
TheyCallMeDave

Yes, im wanting to go over my existing roof with Lanco, before it gets any worse. Its not in bad shape yet, but, I like the idea of coating it now plus the lower temperature roof surface . Ill contact Lanco. Thanks for your help Aaron.
flcruising

Not a problem. Good luck Dave.

I want to do something similar, but since my roof is so new, I will be using just white exterior primer/paint without sealing the roof up. This would give me the reflective benefit at a lower cost than an elastomeric coating.
TheyCallMeDave

Your fortunate. With my southern exposure, I know the ultra white paint of Lanco is going to give me some good benefit. Im going to examine it at Home DePot this weekend and start the project around APril.