potential for pipe freeze-help!

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

kjmorgan

I live in Southeast Texas and we are about to experience the "coldest weather in ten years" according to the weatherman. I've only lived in my MH for 3 yrs. , so I'm apprehensive about the pipes freezing. We got underneath yesterday and fixed some holes in the underbelly paper. Now my question is: should I shut off the water and drain the lines just to be safe, or run water, or turn up the heat/close some vents/open cabinets? It's supposed to be around 15-18 degrees for about 12-16 hrs. for 2 days. If I do drain the lines does that mean I drain the water heater? Thanks!!
Greg

If the underbelly is in good shape with no holes & the insulation in place you should be OK as far as the lines IN the home. Running the furnace and leaving the cabinets open will also help. My concern is the supply line from the ground to your home. Is it insulated and have heat tape? If so you are most likely in good shape. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

If your skirting vents have the capability of closing I would do so to further reduce any cold winds. Do not leave your water running, it could possibly freeze your sewer line and then you have even further troubles.

Happy New Year,

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
TheyCallMeDave

Make sure your exposed pipes in your Pump House (if you have a Well) are insulated ... preferably with a heat tape underneath . Same for the cold water riser pipe that comes up out of the ground under your MH then into the underbelly . If still worried...since its a predicted 2 day hard freeze for your area, drain down your cold water pipes and shut off electricity to the Well Pump if you have one . No need to do the water heater since it is inside your MH . Keep the inside temp. as you have been doing. Open cupboards that have water lines running thru them .
kjmorgan

Thanks so much! I will follow all of this great advice.