Exterior Paint Recommendation

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Honor

Can anyone recommend a good exterior paint for aluminum siding?
I checked the archive and found references to SW Duration, but quite a few
people are unhappy with it.

Many thanks,
Honor
rancocasrich

I painted our MH a year ago and it turned out great. I used Bear paint from Home Depot. I used a primer for the entire first coat and had the primer tinted the same as the finish color. After applying the primer coat, the finish coat went on easily and looks great. The biggest part of the job was the prep. I used a power washer and washed down the siding first. I then rough sanded the wood trim and caulked all seams and gaps between the trim and siding and around the windows and doors. The painting was the easy part.

One great thing about painting a MH is that everything can be reached from a step ladder - no heights! Go for it. My neighbors were totally happy to see the new look. NOTE: Bear advertises a new paint that is both a primer and finish coat. I am "old time" when it comes to painting and can't say whether that product works as well as separate primer and finish applications. I am skeptical that it is as good.
Brenda OH

Duration is great paint, but like rancoasrich posted, you have to power wash. some areas will need to have hand scrubbing if there are streaks left.

and leave a day to dry probably is ideal, since you get water into spaces that needs to drip back out. you also probably should spot prime any area that has rust.

duration is a primer and top coat in one product. It does a good job.

I have found that when I am doing homes for resale, I often can power wash the sides and the skirting and get the skirting and lower walls to look very good. i then only need to paint the top part of the wall (the foot of accent trim) and I get a nice updated look. I think I only used 1 or 2 gallons to do a 14 x 65 home. This especially helped when the trim was in a unusual color, such as bright sky blue. I choose slate gray blue, and it covered well.

Brenda (OH)
Honor

Please elaborate.
Did you use an exterior enamel paint?
What exactly did the label on the can of paint say?

Honor
Brenda OH

I used duration, if it comes in different grades, I used and exterior grade. I used the water based formula. Brenda
rancocasrich

I used both a Baer primer on the first coat and a Baer exterior latex on the second coat. The siding was done in a flat finish and the trim is a semi-gloss.
Honor

Thank you, both, for the advice.