Entering the underbelly

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Honor

Wise ones,

I need to add insulation to the underbelly of my 1963 Fleetwood.
I'm wondering does it matter where I enter? What should I be thinking about
in terms of deciding where to enter? Is there a strategy for removing the skirting and getting underneath the coach?

Also, how do I secure the insulation so it stays in place? As I visualize installing the insulation, it has the potential for needing more than a single pair of hands. Can I do this myself? Is it possible to estimate the number of hours it will take to complete a single-wide?

Has anyone ever felt anxious about going underneath?

Words of Wisdom greatly appreciated.
ponch37300

I had to do some insulating work under the trailer this summer and let me say it was not something I would want to do again! Had a bathroom leak a while ago and had to go replace the insulation that had gotten wet. I pulled the skirting apart where needed and crawled in. I made a bunch of 2' long cuts in the underbelly to stick my head in and stuff some new insulation in. Then I just taped the slits up with the underbelly tape. I used regular unfaced batts of insulation and I did most of the work myself. My girlfriend helped by passing me the insulation, saved me a lot of crawling in and out from under the trailer.
Greg

Hi & welcome. Many here insulate the skirting. It is easier to frame in and uses less insulation than the belly. Mark, the site owner insulated his and claims that under his home has not dropped below freezing in South Dakota. You can read how he did his in the Articles section of the site under "A better skirting idea". Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Honor

Greg,

Would appreciate knowing what brand of insulation board Mark installed?
(I googled it and further confused myself.)

How is the insulation board attached to the skirting?
Please elaborate, and thanks for the reply.

Honor
Greg

Sorry, I guess with the updated new forum the article got shortened. He used "Bagged fiberglass" stapled to the rim joist and allowed to hang to the ground behind the skirting. You can also use rigid foam insulation.

The whole process is in His book available in the "Books & Parts section" of the site. It contains information on about any type of repair or update you may need. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi,

I don't know the area in which you live but I don't think I would just insulate the skirting in lieu of under the home. Insulating under the floor helps the heat ducts stay warm and then warming your floor. Also that same insulation prevents freezing pipes, or lessens the chance I should say. I think I would insulate underneath, and then insulate the skirting if you feel it is necessary.

JMO, Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Honor

Hi Yanita,
Thanks for jumping in. I'm in Southern California, and the temperature drops to the low 40's at night. I'm convinced the coach needs more insulation in the underbelly. Would you be willing to tackle the questions, at least a few of them, from my original post?

Your time and advice is greatly appreciated.
Honor