Door knob hole in wall

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

homebuff

:) Need some assistance on how to patch a hole in my bathroom wall where the door knob knocked a hole in it.
Have put a door stopper there finally but too late now.
I also want to replace the whole panel wall in my laundry room where it got wet from a water leak at the water valves.
The electrical outlet & plastic valve access panel is hanging out real bad & don't think it's safe having the outlet hanging out that far even though the outlet is covered in the rear of it.
All the mold from the leaks has dried out, so it's safe to continue with the repair.
Now all I have to do is find some panel board similar to mine with decorative design on it or just simply put up a plain panal board & not thin plywood.
My wife keeps hounding me about when i'm going to repair it.
Thank's for any tips. :wink:
David
Happy Holiday's to all the staff.
Picture would be nice if possible.
Yanita! Tell me how to send pictures to my control panel preferences page so I can keep them for you to see.
Have searched there & cannot find where to perform the task.
I know how to send pics to a post as long as I get the picture pixal size correct & you don't reject it.
Also my info about my home & surroundings.
I am a certified ford diesel tech, "Retired Now" Ford Parts Department counter man, computer consultant, repairman & programmer
Greg

As you have found the problem is trying to match the print. If you have a closet that you an steal a panel from than the problem may be solved. If not and the vinyl can be saved with a little (ok a lot of) work you may be able to repair it.

Now, the most likely scenario is that you replace the panel and paint the whole room. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
RandyD

Buy Quality.......Cry Only Once!!!!!
homebuff

Thank''s for both of your tips.
Yeh right Greg my wife is going to let me steal a panel from the inside wall.
Then she will be hounding me to fix it then.
Maybe just install a plain piece of paneling perhaps in the closet?
The door plate may be a solution.
i'll find one a little bigger than the hole.
Ho!Ho!Ho!
I am a certified ford diesel tech, "Retired Now" Ford Parts Department counter man, computer consultant, repairman & programmer
Greg

Well Randy, for as many times a week that I'm in Lowes I have never seen one, But It is a good quick fix. Greg
homebuff

:wink: I havn't seen one ether Greg.
I have seen the ones that are doamed shape though.
You see them in a lot of apartment complexes.
I'll do some searchinmg for one soon & If I have no success, i'll just have to replace the panel or find a way to patch the hole.
Now all I have to do is figure out a plan how to replace the panel in the laundry room.
I've already riped 3/4th of the panel off from the lower portion from all the mold that was on it.
This wall is a seperator wall between the kitchen & laundry room so the water vales & electrical outlet shouldn't a problem hooking back up.
I had the other end of the wall on the kitchen side completely removed to fix the leak a long while back cause the hot side fitting had come loose from having the trlr moved from another place to here.
This second leak I did not catch in time & was mold infested all over the bottom portion & on the runner board.
Have a great weekend guy's :)
RandyD

Greg wrote:Well Randy, for as many times a week that I'm in Lowes I have never seen one, But It is a good quick fix. Greg
They have a bigger one too
I got mine at menards
homebuff

RandyD wrote:
Greg wrote:Well Randy, for as many times a week that I'm in Lowes I have never seen one, But It is a good quick fix. Greg
They have a bigger one too
I got mine at menards
Never heard of menards but i'll do a search online & see if we have one near by.
What is it, a big hardware store like Home Depot or Lowe's?
I'm felling like i'm in a dream land when I go into those big hardware stores.
Same when I go into a computer store.
Kind'a like when a kid goes into a toy store.
Greg

I think that Minards is a mid sized regional chain in the mid west. I know Mark has one near him.

In the laundry room I would use a sheet of 1/4 or 3/8 plywood screwed to the wall so it is easily removed to allow access to the plumbing. Just do a quick paint job to match the washer & dryer.

Now, if you do any wood working you could make a cover/patch for the door knob hole out of 1x pine. just get a smooth circle and finish the edge with a router. Greg
RandyD

homebuff wrote:

What is it, a big hardware store like Home Depot or Lowe's?
Yes,it's just like those stores
Brenda OH

How about finding a stick on floor tile you like the look of, Home Depot etc have them as samples that you can buy a single tile. Cut a shape (sqares or diamonds are easy) bigger than the damaged area on the wall. If you add extra adhesive, you would not need screws, if not, stick the tile shape up over the hole, and put a few screws through the tile into the wall, just to help the cover not shake loose from the wall.... done...

the wall, I like fiberglass reinforced plastic paneling it is water proof, so is great behind a washer.
http://www.frpshop.com/

a cheaper answer, concrete board is also water proof. it is used to put tile on. I like to use it for the bottom foot of the wall if I have to replace a wall above the bath tub. I put green board (water resistant) board above it on the rest of the wall, easier to work with, and cheaper. but the concrete board is very water resistent.

hope these ideas help....

Brenda (OH)
homebuff

Brenda OH wrote:How about finding a stick on floor tile you like the look of, Home Depot etc have them as samples that you can buy a single tile. Cut a shape (sqares or diamonds are easy) bigger than the damaged area on the wall. If you add extra adhesive, you would not need screws, if not, stick the tile shape up over the hole, and put a few screws through the tile into the wall, just to help the cover not shake loose from the wall.... done...

the wall, I like fiberglass reinforced plastic paneling it is water proof, so is great behind a washer.
http://www.frpshop.com/

a cheaper answer, concrete board is also water proof. it is used to put tile on. I like to use it for the bottom foot of the wall if I have to replace a wall above the bath tub. I put green board (water resistant) board above it on the rest of the wall, easier to work with, and cheaper. but the concrete board is very water resistent.

hope these ideas help....

Brenda (OH)

Good idea on the stickey floor tile Brenda.
Found some boxes of them stowed away with a light color almost matches the texture of the bathroom.
Stuck a large piece on the wall but think it might look better if I cut it in a round circle a little larger then the hole.
Not too attractive with the large piece up there.
Not too savey in cutting circles just like when I have to cut angles for base board trimming.
Never been able to cut those darn angles very well.
Did buy a plastic angle box cuttter that comes with the saw.
Thank's for that tip on the tile.
Rhonda

I found the same thing RandyD used. Except mine was $1 at Kmart. They also sell them at the big W here.
WildIrish

What I did was to go to Ace Hardware and get one of those round stick-on panels that's made especially for protecting a wall from doorknob damage. They're roughly the size of a CD, or maybe a little bigger (I can't remember--it's in our old house). Though they're made for preventive use, they work great for making a nice, professional-looking repair. The one I got was white, but you could paint it a color to coordinate with your wallpaper.

Good luck!
[img]http://i30.tinypic.com/2v9p75c.gif[/img]
homebuff

:) Had to put a hold on all my other repairs cause i'm having a big problem with my furnace & it's more important right now since it's way down in the single digits here & the wind chill is worse than that.
Have to babysit my pipes form freezing.
Appreciate all the great idea's though.
Maybe this early spring I can get some of them accomplished.
Have a great weekend to all. :D
David