gas/sewer smell

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

NancyKay

Ok, this has probably been discussed before, and I will do a search, but lately I've been smelling a slight gas smell, first I thought it was like when your pilot light on your stove goes out, but it's not really a gas smell, it's a gassy smell, like it just hit me yesterday, that it's a sewer gas smell I think. in my kitchen area, near the stove. That's what also made me think it was the stove. It's very slight, comes and goes, but is there pretty much every day. I want to get someone to come over and get their opinon of what it is. it's only in the kitchen.
NancyKay
MacAttack

Do you have a gas stove? If not, are you on a septic system? If so, what you might be smelling is some of the sewer gas coming down the vent. It happens to us on rare occasions when the air is cold and moist. I tried adding a charcoal filter to the sewer line vent stack, but that upset the airflow and made it worse, not better.
klm9707

I have a home that is only 6 months old. The home come with new appliances. Within the first month the furnace was leaking propane. Was a fix from local heating contractor covered under warranty. Then my kitchen stove started to leak propane. Could NOT get anyone to do anything about it. Finally last week, we went and bought a new stove at our expense. But the first smell of propane had an odd odor to it. We could not figure out what it was. Thought maybe something dead was under the home. We tracked down the smell finally then used a gas sniffer to pinpoint it. Maybe a sniffer would help, if you have access to one. Good luck.
Greg

Have your propane supplier check the propane system first, that is the most dangerous situation. If that checks out then go to the sewer system. Look for leaking trapsunder the sinks and under the home. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
NancyKay

My stove is gas, but it's not like a gas smell. I have smelled something like it before, in the bathroom maybe last year. it's not very strong at all. I'm going to have to look underneath, or have someone come out. It's like a sewer smell, not a gas or propane smell. I don't have anything that is propane. I don't think I have a septic tank in the city. Do they have septic tanks in the city? We are a big park in the middle of the city
NancyKay
kashton

I know this won't help with the problem ,but, everytime the park snakes the lines(which happen to be in my yard) I get a sewer smell through my kitchen sink. That is only the grey water line. I also find that I have to run a couple cycles through my wash machine with bleach cause the smell comes through the greywater line.
Are you in a park? Are the sewer access pipes in your yard?Image
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I'm at the front, twirling a baton!

First and foremost, you should make sure the problem isn't any kind of gas leak. If it's not that, you might want to consider replacing the trap vents under your sinks in the kitchen and bathroom. Most mobile homes use trap vents rather than stacks that go up through the roof to expel plumbing gases. Sometimes when they get old they stick and don't work properly and you end up smelling the gas. They are quite cheap (see link below) and easy to replace. Just unscrew the old one and screw in the new one. It took me a month to track down the slight "sewer smell" I noticed when i first moved into my MH. Since replacing the trap vents in my sinks I haven't had a recurrence of the smell. Hope this helps, but please make sure it's not a gas leak first!

http://ashvillemobilehomes.com/trapvent.html