Laminate Flooring, Quarter Round & Base Board Question

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

PennylessZ28

Hey all, I have experience installing laminate flooring in homes, but never in a mobile home.

So my question for you knowledgeable folks, and those who have added it, did you add base board? Or did you use quarter round to hide the gap around the edges?

My trailer doesn't have a base board, so I wasn't even sure if you could add it. Although I don't see why not since their are wood studs behind the walls.

Thanks in advance.
kashton

I haven't added baseboards yet. I'm making my own. That way I can make them wider on the bottem to hide where the wall is out. You could always go with a molding too. I've found the crown molding to be wider, and actually looks good turned and used as baseboards.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I'm at the front, twirling a baton!
JD
Site Admin

Most laminate floor dealers will be selling the matching quarter-round and transition bars right next to the flooring. The stuff is pricey, but matches the flooring very well. While expensive, you don't need a lot of pieces and it makes for a professional looking installation. The quarter-round is a standard 1/2" quarter, but the transitions are a two piece unit made specifically to allow the 1/4" expansion gap. You could replace the quarter-round with any molding of your choice, but you would need too be a bit creative to make a proper transition. A flat spacer with a finished wood carpet bar would work. But again, considering the high quality and match of the factory stuff, that is what I always use.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
PennylessZ28

JD wrote:Most laminate floor dealers will be selling the matching quarter-round and transition bars right next to the flooring. The stuff is pricey, but matches the flooring very well. While expensive, you don't need a lot of pieces and it makes for a professional looking installation. The quarter-round is a standard 1/2" quarter, but the transitions are a two piece unit made specifically to allow the 1/4" expansion gap. You could replace the quarter-round with any molding of your choice, but you would need too be a bit creative to make a proper transition. A flat spacer with a finished wood carpet bar would work. But again, considering the high quality and match of the factory stuff, that is what I always use.

JD
For my mother, I removed all the old baseboard and then ran the flooring underneath the new baseboard. So I was curious.

I might use the quarter round.
JD
Site Admin

PennylessZ28 wrote:
For my mother, I removed all the old baseboard and then ran the flooring underneath the new baseboard. So I was curious.

I might use the quarter round.
Sure, you can do that. Just be sure to leave the 1/4" gap at the walls.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
HouseMedic

Just like JD said. Make sure you leave at least a 1/4" gap between the wall and the laminate for expansion. Also when you nail the baseboard or quarter round on to make sure you nail it to the wall and not the floor. That way the floor can move with expansion. Also if it has to go near open doorways use a back cut saw to cut the trim so the laminate can go under it. This link might help. http://www.armstrong.com/content2/resam/files/32608.pdf
I just got done removing 450 sq. ft. of laminate that someone installed incorrectly and when it buckled it ruined the laminate. So the customer wanted me to put in 3/4" pre-finished hardwood.

Ron
PennylessZ28

Thanks for that info.

I got my flooring yesterday at home depot, .88 cents a sq foot, for 400 square feet, I paid $380 and then $100 for my padding, which was .25 cents a sq ft.