Doublewide Remodel to Increase Value

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

shannonsmom

Hello. My name is Cindy, and I am new to this board. We bought our doublewide home, which is on a rock foundation, 15 years ago, and we are ready to buy another home and sell our doublewide.

I know that kitchens and bathrooms are usually what sell homes, but our kitchen and bathrooms need to be updated really bad. In the bathrooms, we need to replace the tubs, shower stall, toilets, sinks, sink fixtures, vanities and flooring. In the kitchen, we need to replace the countertops, sink, sink fixtures, flooring and backsplash.

I know it is usually a great investment to update a stick-built home before selling it, but I don't know if it's a good investment to do the same to a doublewide. Obviously, we would like to increase the value of our home and get the most possible for it, but I don't want to go overboard on a remodel either.

Any suggestions? We would REALLY appreciate it a lot.
Harry

Hi

Approx. where is the home located?

I would first get an appraisal on the home "as is". Then I would estimate the cost of the remods. Remodeling doesn't always pay back. Do you have other MHs in the area to compare to?

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Yanita

Hi,

Welcome to the site.

Not sure what you mean by rock foundation. Is this home considered real property.

In most circumstances MH's do not appreciate in value as a stick built does, real property or otherwise.

Obviously you would need to repair floors, the rest of the upgrades I would keep rather modest.

JMO, ~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
scottman

It may increase value some. HOwever the home is worth what the highest bidder is willing to pay. You can upgrade to the hilt but if the people coming in cannot afford it you will not gain on that cost.

It may help you sell faster if there are a number of homes and your's is the nicest.
JD
Site Admin

Hi Cindy,

Here in Fresno CA, a 17 yr old home could sell for $30K to $130K+ (rented spaces) depending on condition and more importantly, which park it is located in. In the parks with lower resale value, you could not get your money back on a total renovation. Things like paint, laminate countertops, and flooring might be feasible. In the more desirable parks, all the repairs you mentioned may be a good idea, if you DIY to keep the costs down. So I guess you would need to find comparables in your park and figure out how much your current investment is worth to you, to determine how much you would want to invest to make the sale. Sometimes selling as-is for a lower price and letting the new owners do the refurbishing is more profitable.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Archie

Another option you might consider.

Sell the home for a higher price with a refund or return once it is closed upon for the new owner to do some repairs.

Financing a home and then financing a home repair loan may turn some people away if you decide not to do the repairs before you sell. Offering them some money back on the sale to do the repairs might influence someone to buy.
Experience is what you get after you need it.
klm9707

Will this home be sold with the land or sold to be moved? The book value on the home might help. But that will not change even with a remodel. The only thing that may increase the value is your land.
Greg

Hi & welcome. You did not say if you were selling the home only and the new owner would have to move it, or if it is a home & land. If you are selling with the land I would say do a modest remodel, If it is going to be moved I doubt I woud bother. When the move is made much of the work you do could be damaged. I just did our kitchen, Sunco makes a great looking inexpensive cabinet, we have about $1200 ours with 15 cabinets. worth looking at if you are going to do it. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
shannonsmom

Thanks so much for the replies! I did forget to mention that we own the land as well, which is just a little under one acre. It is not in a park. It is on a permanent rock foundation, which puts it in the "real property" category.

Here are some of our issues: In the master bathroom, the shower floor is cracked, so it cannot be used. Since the shower and tubs are basically some kind of hard plastic, they all have really REALLY bad rust and hardwater stains from our well water, which will NOT come off. It looks absolutely horrible, and the only thing I can come up with is to replace them all. The toilets have PERMANENT rust-colored stains inside the bowl that are literally etched into the bowl. They need to be replaced as well. The bathroom sinks are also that plastic, one of which is cracked from one side to the other.

The laminate kitchen countertop has come off in one spot exposing the plywood or pressboard (or whatever that is!) underneath. The kitchen sink faucet literally has water pouring out of the hot water handle because it's so old...not to mention ugly as crap! (as are ALL of the faucets in the house!) Of course, there is the tiny kitchen sink (stainless steel) that is not deep enough to hold a sink drainer basket thingy without it sticking way up out of the sink. I have painted the kitchen cabinets, which look much better than they used to, although I would LOVE to replace the cabinets.

Then there is always the outside, which is another issue. Our two porches, one front and one side, have both rotted to a degree and need replacing. The door in the kitchen, which opens to the side porch, has suddenly rotted on the bottom, and the whole bottom of the door just fell out the last time we opened it, so it has to be replaced. We can't even go out on our side porch anymore because the whole bottom piece just deteriorated. Then there's the landscaping issue too....we have NONE!

We want to move sooooooo bad, but the thought of spending the money to refurbish this place could be a stupid financial move. On the other hand, alot of these things could be taken care of if we kept the budget rather modest, which makes me think it would be a good investment.

Any thoughts and/or ideas will be greatly appreciated.
Harry

Hi

What year and where is the MH?

Archie brings up a excellent point. I’ve used this strategy with most of my closings. Offer credits for needed improvements/repairs. The way this works is you actually write the new buyers a check at closing for say $3000 for the sink, faucet, shower, toilets, decks, and door repairs.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Yanita

Hi,

That may work and be a great option for the cosmetic things, but if the financial lender wants an inspection and typically though do the bigger stuff may need repairs.

It may be worth your time and money to have everything appraised and an inspection, this will give you an idea of what direction to take.

Hubby and I recently went through this. Bought this double wide last year. The master bathroom needed floor replacement and complete reno (outdated). The guest bath had the floor already replaced but nothing else. The kitchen was outdated as well. A few other minor things, but as the owner did not want to deal with any of it we got a 24x60 double wide on an acre of land for 50,000.

We got the home for less as we agreed to do the repairs, the bank just wanted them done by a certain time after closing.

About everything you mentioned is cosmetic, I wouldn't worry about that, but the decks may need repairs.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Harry

Sylvia

We planned to get rid of this home. We hated it, it was dark and dirty and needed repairs. We started to fix it up to make it habitable and it suddenly became not only the envy of the neighborhood (with some pricey "real" homes around) but a dream home. The value went from 36k to 110k in three years. The prices of other homes have remained steady.