Can they all be up there?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Rhonda

We are in the process of buying shingles and roofing materials for our home. Hopefully before the snow flies we will get it reshingled. My question is, can all them guys be up there? Will it hold them all? There are 4 men and two teenage boys. Please tell me they won't end up on my kitchen counter at some point.
JD
Site Admin

If you have 4 adult men and 2 teenagers on the roof, I could only imagine that 2 guys and 1 teen will be working each side. There really wouldn't be a call for more than that on one side while laying shingles. Typically, there would be two guys working together. When loading shingles on the roof, there may be more guys on a side, but it really is not necessary.

While it is very unlikely that anyone will end up inside of your home, too many guys in the same area can damage or weaken trusses. Regular roofers that do not see a lot of mobile homes will tend to bunch up some times. When two or more people are working on a side, they should try to spread their weight over multiple trusses and not stand/kneel one directly above the other. 6 guys on one side in the same area is very risky.

If you have 2x6 rafter/vaulted ceilings that are in good condition, or a newer built home, you are probably alright if they split up between the two sides. If this is an older home with flat ceilings, they need to be careful and distribute weight.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Rhonda

Thanks JD. The home is about 9 years old. We don't have a flat roof. Maybe I should get the specs on the roof before I send the troops up there. Unfortunately it isn't a roofing company, it is family. They have done many roofs between the 13 siblings in our families. So they know how to do it, I am just concerned about the weight issue.
JD
Site Admin

Well, you will have two guys rolling out felt and snapping lines, a third person could help nail the felt down I guess. Then you got a guy setting the shingles and nailing, one guy feeding shingles and controlling the air hose and I guess the teen dragging down bundles of shingles. Having worked on many roofs, I don't really know what I would have others do, other than jump on that other side and get started. They could take the tear-off to the dump, that would be helpful. (I hope you know that the original roof should be removed and not roofed over)

If they are careful, they do not all need to be on the same rafter at the same time. This would be normal and acceptable in a repair situation like this. You always need to be careful of unseen, underlying structural damage and dry rot of roof sheathing.

I would highly recommend installing Ice & Water Shield on at least the bottom 18" of eave, under the ridge cap and around all vents and protrusions. If you are not using Ice & Water Shield over the entire roof surface, it should go under the roofing felt.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Rhonda

Thanks JD I appreciate your time and knowledge!
gman

I have a home close to what this looks like. Mine is a 1999 28x50. We had a roofing company come in that had 6 men.

They all got there at 6:00 AM and was done by 2:30 pm with the roof. They were all up there with no trouble or damage to the house. All of them working at the same time. It was like watching a well oiled machine. They were pros for sure.

ShowThumbnail.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.