Tankless Water Heater

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

PennylessZ28

Anyone have any experience with these or installed one in their mobile home?

My parents had one installed last sumer, and have seen a huge cost savings in their annual natural gas bill. As it only heats water as needed. And you can barely tell the difference.

I'm considering replacing the tank with one. Just curious if anyone here has done this.

:?:
chaslo

I have recently purchased a tankless water heater but do not have it installed yet. I'm just doing what I can when I can on my remodel.
PennylessZ28

chaslo wrote:I have recently purchased a tankless water heater but do not have it installed yet. I'm just doing what I can when I can on my remodel.
Will you be installing it yourself?
hvac1000

Follow the manufactures instructions to the letter when installing your heater.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
PennylessZ28

Well cancel Christmas boys, I opened up the spot where the hot water tank was today and found this

Manufacturing date is 2004, so I guess I'll just stick with that.
Jim from Canada

I have not encountered a tankless water heater rated for MH use, nor have I found any other "Direct venting" appliance rated for MH's. What brand is it? I am curious about installing one myself if the parks water woes ever get fixed. Right now I have a 40 gal. heated that is a rental. This way, when it dies because of the water here, they replace it free.

Jim
Yanita

Hi,

That is the problem we are having as well, can not find one that is MH rated...since they are mounted on the exterior do they need to be MH rated?

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
PennylessZ28

I hadn't actually looked into it that far. I didn't realize there would be a difference?
Yanita

Hi Pennyless,

About anything that has to do with gas in a MH needs to be rated MH approved,the exception being stoves.

Furnaces are specific as is water heaters and wood stoves. I am not certain about these tankless water heaters, maybe I will call my insurance company if I have time tomorrow.

~Yanita~
chaslo

the electric water heaters I believe are mh approved, Mine is propane and I will not be installing it myself. It is not mh approved.
Yanita

Hi,

Any electric water heater can be used in a MH, providing you have the space.

This thread is referring to tankless water heaters, specifically gas ones. A gas fired water heater must be MH rated and properly installed...

~Yanita~
PennylessZ28

I'd say its safe to close this. As my setup is electric.
Harry

Hi Yanita and All

There are electric water heaters approved for manufactured housing. Below is a pic of my WH manual cover.

Here’s the HUD Code:

HUD Manufactured Home Construction and Safety Standard Title 24, CFR; 3280.707

(d) Performance efficiency. (1) All automatic electric storage water
heaters installed in manufactured homes shall have a standby heat loss not exceeding 43 watts/meter\2\ (4 watts/ft\2\) of tank surface area. The method of test for standby loss shall be as described in section 4.3.1 of Household Automatic Electric Storage Type Water Heaters.

State and local government shall not override HUD code.

Harry

PS: If you want to “green” your electric water heater wrap it with an insulation blanket...to reduce standby heat loss.

Image[/img]
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Frank

PennylessZ28 wrote:I'd say its safe to close this. As my setup is electric.
You will find that there are quite a few water heaters that comply with this HUD standard. When that HUD standard was written it was to make them more energy efficient.