Showers and tile

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

crackur

I was wondering about tile for showers. I have a master with a standup shower and a guest with bathtub surround.

I was wondering if it was possible to replace the bathtub and put tile on the walls

also, I noticed that my standup shower in my master is larger than the door opening and so are all showers I have looked at. Is there a way around this? Can I install a tile shower? or would that be too much work etc? I want to completely renovate the two baths slowly and wonder if I could do this

also, what is the best thing to put down when laying tile or marble in the bathroom? to keep the barrier up and or/ keep from cracking
Greg

Possible - yes, recommended, NO. Here's why, Your home can and WILL move slightly. Mobiles are designed to flex for travel during delivery, And it will also flex when the ground freezes & thaws. I have also seen walls flex in strong winds.

Now if you factor the flex of the home against the non flex of tiles you have a losing combination. One member had a floor tile break in the middle of the night and ended up grabbing his gun since he thought someone was shooting at him. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
crackur

Well I have some marble tiles I want to install in the bathrooms. The floors are not that big of an area (its a 87 doublewide home, been there since then on foundation). I was thinking of putting some type of board (wonder, durock) or something down that would help the tile from cracking.

They are not big spaces and I'm looking at doing this in the near future.

Any opinions or help is greatly appreciated.
Greg

If you are on a full foundation, you may be OK. If you live in an area that has frost in the ground I personally would still have second thoughts. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Greg S

If you truly want to try tile I highly recommend using a product called Ditra. It is a separation membrane designed to isolate tile from floor, or wall, movement preventing cracking.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
crackur

thanks for the reply, I'm going to keep researching my best method.

The marble is already bought so that is a done deal, its going to happen, when and how is still left up in the air.

Like I said, its a manufactured home which has been sitting the foundation for over 20yrs. I'm pretty sure it should be able to hold up to it, if the preparation is good.......its not near the split in the home as well.
Yanita

Well it sounds as though your mind was made up before you asked the question. Greg gave you the correct info...so if or when you here a pop or see the cracks don't say you were not warned LOL. My home has been on it's foundation for 35 years, I live in a no freeze zone and I still won't install tiles.

Good luck with your endeavor.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
crackur

actually my question was never about the floor, it was about the walls or shower.

The floor was going to happen regardless, I know of people who have done it etc. I was just wanting to hear experience from people who did it, done it or tried it and how it went so I could avoid mistakes that are destined.

so the if or when its just that...........it happens to some, I'm just trying not to be that some.

Why not try? never let the fear of failure stop you from doing something you want, unless you don't really want it that bad, hah my wife gets what she want :mrgreen:
crackur

again thanks guys, I truly do appreciate your help and guidance.

what about the aspect of laying another piece of plywood over the prexisting plywood the house came built with?

I know you would have to offset the high difference
Yanita

Correct, tile for showers, it is not recommended... On a side note note I own a residential cleaning business and I see many that are in stick built homes that always seem to leak from day one. Just giving you a heads. As the homeowner the choice is always yours.

In the above post you mention adding another of plywood and then tiles, keep in mind the thickness of all this and your door. Also there is always the chance of water leaking in the future between the two layers of wood.

HAGD!

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Harry

Hi

If you want to give it a try I'd use HardiBacker Cement Board. Here's a link:

http://www.jameshardie.com/homeowner/backerboard.shtml

Here's the installation instructions: http://www.jameshardie.com/homeowner/pd ... all-us.pdf

Let us know how you make out.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
crackur

Yanita wrote:Correct, tile for showers, it is not recommended... On a side note note I own a residential cleaning business and I see many that are in stick built homes that always seem to leak from day one. Just giving you a heads. As the homeowner the choice is always yours.

In the above post you mention adding another of plywood and then tiles, keep in mind the thickness of all this and your door. Also there is always the chance of water leaking in the future between the two layers of wood.

HAGD!

Yanita
Yeah, I gotcha. My door have a 2-3inches of space between them and the floor. I'm not sure probably 2" (I'm not home to measure them right now to be really specific.)

Just trying to get as much info as possible. They shouldn't be much traffic in the bathrooms, if that really makes a difference.

I'll keep my study on!
flcruising

The keys to tile showers is proper drainage slope and membrane waterproofing. There's TONS of video resources online to guide you, here's one to start...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNB8bs5VYoI

Additionally,
The key to tile floors (or walls for that matter) is deflection. Stone tile (like marble) is even more stringent on deflection requirements than ceramic or porcelain. Here's another resource to help out...

http://www.thetiledoctor.com/installati ... ection.cfm
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
scty2hty3

you can put tile on the wall for your shower. we do it at work often. we put felt paper over the sheetrock then a big piece of hardyboard then the tile. with your home on a foundation you should be fine, especially since the homes we put it in travels hundreds of miles to the dealers and we very seldom have a problem with the tile.
RandyD

I ceramic tiled my two baths about five years ago
They are fine no cracks
The floors are soft tiled
I would never hard tile a mobile home floor anywhere
It's asking for trouble
It will crack
Buy Quality.......Cry Only Once!!!!!