How do you know?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Rhonda

I have been reading a lot about soft spots in peoples floors in this forum. How do I know if it is a soft spot or just the giving to the weight of a person? I am getting concerned that maybe I have them too.
Harry

Hi

How much weight are you talking?

A healthy floor feels solid when a 300 pound person walks on it.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Greg

A soft floor feels just that, soft. There may be a noticeable dip in the area also.
What happens is that the glue in Partical board sub floor ( sawdust glued together under pressure) will dissolve and it turns back into sawdust in that area. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Brenda OH

Be very suspicious if the soft spot is in the following locations...

by an exterior door
by a window
in front or behind a sink (or a counter top island that has the sink in it
by the tub or shower
by the laundry room(room behind the wall behind the washer counts too)
on a floor that adjoins the bathroom(once had a floor that collapsed in the closet that was by the tub)
is by a floor vent ....
is near a refridgerator that has a condensate pan
is behind the stove where a range hood opening goes outdoors and there is no little hood cover on the outside wall of the home
near the furnace, where there is an overhead vent for the furnace....
hope i did not scare you!

if you can pull up the carpet where you think you have a soft spot, the floor will usually be stained darker than the surrounding floor if there is a leak.

the soft spots at heating vent openings is some times that the floor broke from being cut, and you can reinforce the floor by putting a 1 x3 inside the vent and screw down through the floor to pull the new board up against the floor.

good thing is, floor repairs are not technically difficult, just a bother...

Brenda (OH)
Rhonda

Here is an example, when I am sitting on the recliner in the living room, my son (180#) 6' walks by and I can "feel" it. I don't have any thing running under the floor in the middle of the living room that would cause water issues. I also have been in the kitchen between the island and fridge and the same thing. I can "feel" them walk by me. Are these "soft" spots? Please tell me I don't have to rip up lineoleum and carpet to find out!
Harry

Hi

"Feel it" is OK....in my opinion.

When my sisters boy comes over the dishes rattle....and my floors are plywood and super strong and the MH is a good install. He must weigh 500 pounds.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Rhonda

Thank you everyone for your advise. My mind is at ease....for now!
Greg

When you see the water heater is about half of the height that it used to be, it could be a soft spot!! Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
daves_not_here

Yep I agree, I don't think you have soft spots - I DO have soft spots - a couple of them - one by my back door (a sliding glass door) which I have repaired, and one next to my front door. The one by the back door did not surprise me as I have no awning there, but the front door does. I got out there and was looking real close at the siding and I started noticing some small "pin" holes - actually some were around 2-3mm - plenty big to allow water to seep in. I have no idea how those got there - it is a '78 home and I have had it only 6 years - but I decided they could be the problem and I have applied some silicone sealant to them. I still have the 2nd soft spot covered up as it is not in a traffic area, but I had to repair the other one that was in a hallway - before one of us fell through!