Where to start remodel--what order

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

DCDiva

We are trying to plan the remodel of the the 2 mh we just closed on-- it seems everything needs done lol and we have done total remodels before on houses-- just need another set of ears to make sure we do not waste time or money--we(dh,me,dd,ds) will work on the weekends and we have 2 handymen that work for us so we need planning to get done ASAP-- my list:
new floors( should we put new floor on top of old floor and just fix the really soft spots or tear up all the floor??), new exterior doors, new plumbing, replace electric, new roof, drywall, we will put in new double hung windows like w house has but it can wait, we have new mh windows that the old owners put in--but poorly put in,bath and kitchen, the extrior will be washed down but we will cover it with t-1 11 and paint this spring, when we add on
Yes this is a lot to do--why not replace mh w new or better shape mh--well single wide mh are not allowed in this town anymore(this is happening everywhere around here so beware)--double wides but no single wides--our 2 mh are grandfathered in so they can stay but we can not replace--yea found this out 3 days before closing when I had found a really nice newer mh for 11,000 I was going to move to lot--good thing I did not sign the papers lol
Harry

Hi

I would make a trip down under and fix anything found there........then check for level........then make sure all leaks are fixed such as the roof and windows......then anything structural.....then the cosmetics.

JMHO

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Greg

First, check & relevel the home if necessary, only a water level should be used for this job. If the home is unlevel before you start, EVERYTHING you do will be off level.

Next get the home weather tight and make sure there are no plumbing leaks.
Floors, Remove all damaged areas and replace with plywood or at the very least OSB. If you just go over damaged areas you are just making more work in the long run since the damaged areas will simply fall apart over time and may contain mold.

A word of caution concerning additions, unless both the home and addition are on below the frost line footers sooner or later you WILL have problems with leaks.

Another thought is that since there is an existing S/W in that location you may be able to apply for a variance to the zoning law to replace it with a new home. It may be worth looking into. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi, In your list of repairs the first one that stood out to me was needing the new roof. With that said I would relevel or check for level first...then a new roof! Anything and everything under that roof needs to remain dry or all else is a waste. Then I would go ahead with the plumbing, always keep in mind that water is the first and major source of damage to these homes.

JMO, Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
DCDiva

Roof will not touch the mh--like mh is in a garage lol --big job but we love an adventure--will take photos and post--on our wild ride in mh remodeling--and our adventure with the house on the same lot that has black and red shag carpet on the walls,ceiling and stairs--it is like going up/down stairs on a really good drug,yes we are tearing this off lol very afraid what is being cover up by carpet lol--all I can say is the few owners before us were not good DIYers and this was section 8 HUD--my inspector for this area--house 3 hours from me--would never have passed it
Harry

Hi

You asked "should we put new floor on top of old floor and just fix the really soft spots or tear up all the floor??".

I had a neighbor in South Florida that was disabled and short on money and the floor started falling through in several spots. Their MH is/was an old beater. They had the floor repaired by putting plywood on top of the old floor. It is not the best repair....but it worked.

Yes I'd like to see photos of the remodels.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
DCDiva

We hope to start this weekend--we closed last Friday but with it 3 hours from home ran around getting insurance, water,sewage,electric and did the walk thur for house--the sale was for house--2 mh a bonus lol and closing--lol--lawyer tried to sell us a newer double wide for 20,000,was 55,000 owner died right before closing/wife not compitent(SP?) and they need to settle estate--wished I had the extra cash--oh well,I still playing the lottery :) Our dream to do this full time--anyway no time for all of our planning--an employee and our son mowed and weed eated property while we ran @--neighbors came over and told us they were glad we seem to be going to take care of property--we explained we fix up all of our properties and have very strict rules for up keep--we talked last night and our handyman want to just gut it remove all walls to put in floor then rebuild walls--we will see. And I am a photo mania--you will get bored by our adventure lol
Yanita

If you are unfamiliar with MH repairs/remodels you would serve yourself and your homes well with the purchase of our MH Repair Manuel in the BOOKS/PARTS link.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
DCDiva

Oh I bought that book and read it cover to cover and it was required reading for each family member so much so that we had to tear out the pages,put each in a protective sheets and a big binder to keep clean--the book was bought before I made the deal on the property lol--I have more ?'s to ask and more photos--we only got to work 3 hours but gutted 2 bedrooms --ceiling,panneling,carpet---and now know our game plan--not as bad as we had planned :) and we are going to rewire everything--looked like someone--not doing things properly did some playing with the electricity--plus wire are from 72 and while it is all open up and I want some things added and moved so now is the time--let me say they did not read the book on putting up a new ceiling--do not know if we got a photo of it but they made the mistake in both bedrooms --ran the 2x2 the opp way the ceiling joist are ok but should have supported them at the sides--hard to discribe--hope we got a photo--the weight of ceiling the 1 ft ceiling tiles too much--I have some photos of some ?'s I will post tomorrow --tired tonight to download them lol
Melissa