Dryer ventalation

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

bmerri

Can anyone tell me why anybody would cut a whole in the floor and run the vent down under the trailer? This one was like that when we bought it. There is a plate on the wall already behind the dryer it looks like it is about a ft. off the floor. The vent would go up hill. Wouldn't that cause the lint to get stuck? Is that why the put it in the floor? What would you do. I would think that all that moisture under the trailer would be bad for the floors. Could someone help, please?
flcruising

Actually, if it's not just punched through the exterior wall, it's pretty typical that it go down through the floor, but then it should also continue out the skirting with a dryer vent hood type installation. The best material to use is metal piping with the least number of elbows as possible.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Greg

You really need to get it vented to the outside, either through the floor & skirting or through the wall. use rigid metal pipe with no more than 2 90* bends. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Jeffd218

Bmerri,
I found the same situation when I bought my 1985 single wide a few months ago. Amazing to think that for all those years the owners thought that was OK to vent underneath the home! Yeah, there was lots of lint down there, of course. Now it's properly vented to the outside just as flcruising suggests.
Jeff
bmerri

Thanks everyone for your help. Jeff, how did you do yours? through the skirting. Do I just cut a hole and attach one of those vents to it?
scty2hty3

you can get one of those dryer vent kits at about any hardware store. they are really easy to install usually 4 screws and a big zip tie to hook up the hose that also comes with most to the dryer. i installed mine on my vinyl scirting, i put a small piece of plywood with a hole drilled for the pipe to go thru so i could secure the cover on.