Replacing a tub enclosure with a full size shower enclosure

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

squirt13

I am interested in replacing my tub enclosure and putting in a full size shower enclosure that has a bench in it. Because of arthritis I can not get down into a tub and with a full size shower at least I would be able to sit and enjoy the water . Also it would be less chance in falling again.
Yanita

Hi Squirt,

Not sure exactly what your question is...are you asking if this can be done? Certainly it can, many have done so, but there is alot involved.

I believe Harry has pics of his shower reno in his album, and there have been many others done as well. To access the photo albums click the ALBUM link in the grey task bar above. The next page will show a list of everyone who has albums, scroll until you see Harry.

One of the first issues I think you might have if you are getting the shower I think you are is getting it into your bathroom. If it is a one piece unit you will probably have to remove a wall to get it in. Many types of large showers are actually meant to be set in place first and then built around.

Please post back with specific questions and we can get a better idea of what you need for help.

Thanks, Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
kashton

There are a new style of tub for those with disabilities. They have a door in the front that seals when closed, if you prefer a tub. They come with built in seats. They come in different styles and sizes. It escapes me what they are called. I will find out, since I thought of getting my mom one installed, since she has had both hips replaced and has trouble even getting into the tub to have a shower.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I'm at the front, twirling a baton!
Yanita

Hi,

I saw those advertised on TV last night, if you find a link would you post it please.

I bet they are a pretty spendy item.

~Yanita~
kashton

You are quick tonight Yanita! I found a site that you can see what they look like.

.http://www.arwholesale.com/index.php?AR ... =WalkInTub
Yanita

Thanks Kashton,

I like to encourage folks when mentioning products to post a link to that item...I for one do not have the time to research everything.

Will check out the link,

Thanks, ~Yanita~
kashton

Search on Google for Walk-in-tubs or Safety-tubs will give you alot of options.

I sure hope this helps.
JD
Site Admin

Lowe's sells one made by Sterling. It comes in a 48" and 60" model. Basin and walls are about $450.00. It is a pretty nice and durable unit actually. We have installed a dozen or so since starting Central Valley Repair in 2005. They have 2 seats built into them. On the 60" it is fine. I feel it cramps the 48" a little.

If you happen to have one of the mobile home 54" units, non-mobile home replacement shower pans are harder to find. There are 54" units you can get from Ashville Mobile Homes, and other online mobile home parts stores. Also, you may be able to get a Florestone product locally. They have a 54x34. Swanstone, Sterling, Lasco, Kohler do not make a 54" unit.

Hope this helps,

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
kashton

I would asume that the weight of one of these is a bit different than a reg tub or shower stall. You have installed them, JD. Is there a big difference?
JD
Site Admin

Not really any difference. These are all ABS type products. Probably lighter than the fiberglass units a lot of homes come with. Some of these products do come with a high gloss finish. They might say they are made of Vikrell or something, but it is ABS.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.