range exhaust fan replacement

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mrfixit1

I have removed a range exhaust fan and would like to replace it but have found that the largest manufacturer of range hoods (Broan) offers only a round ducted hood which is approved by HUD for manufactured home. The rectangular ducted hoods are not approved for mobile homes. To further complicate the issue, the old range hood had a 1/4" asbestos slab as a insulator between hood and the cabinets above.

The owner is now asking me to put any material above and on the back of the range just to cover up the uglies which of course I cannot do.

Has anyone any suggestions on this?
hvac1000

I took my old range hood which was supposed to look like Stainless steel and primed and painted it. I used a very small roller and it has a very nice textured finish. Looks great.

I had the same problem of not being able to find a replacement so the paint job worked great. I also used a large piece of Stainless to make a back splash. I happened to have it laying around and painted it to match. Visitors always mention that it looks great and now matches my refrigerator and stove.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
Maureen

Hi mrfixit1,

Now that's a new one on for me! Are you saying that this home has square ducts for the exhaust fan over the range? I haven't seen that in a mobile/manufactured home. I changed my old range hood out about 3 or 4 years ago. We own a '73 model and the duct work was round back then.

Something tells me that this must have been a retrofit at one time or another.

Could you give us some info about the home? The year of the home would be very helpful. Has it had a lot of renovations? Are the kitchen area and appliances all original?

The more info we have about the home, the better we can answer your question.

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
Yanita

Hi,

Do not know if mine is retro fitted or not as far as the duct work goes, but mine is rectangular, and many of the homes around here are.

My singlewide also had rectangualr duct for the exhaust vent and that I know was orginal.

LOL, if mine is a retro fit they did an absolute flawless retro fit.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Maureen

So sorry for the error folks! The homes I've lived in only had round ducts. My bad LOL!

It just goes to prove how different our homes are I guess!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
mrfixit1

Sorry for the delay in answering. busy times.
The duct was rectangular. I have decided to replace it with a new hood but will utilize the asbestos as it is in good shape.
riven1950

just a thought, but you might consider a over the range microwave/hood, assuming your hood is 30 inches or the cabinets can be modified. MH counter space is limited. I installed one like this and getting ready to do another.

The lower end microwaves are not much more than a hood.

Ted
NC Coast
Lorne

When we moved in ours was in bad shape and it too had a rectangular duct out the rear and through the wall.

The silly thing was that the duct went through the wall and into the fully enclosed sun porch. Not an Aluminum porch but a solid house type structure.

We bought a brand new one at the "Habitat for the Humanities warehouse, $7.00 that apparently was ordered by the contractor but was the wrong style.

It was a "Ductless" style that we wanted, since we didn't want the smell of CHICKEN COOKING, GOING THROUGH TO THE PORCH.

Works find, but I wouldn't dare tell you how they wired the original.
And you thought the movie "Alien" was scary. Good luck.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.