Leaking Rheem water heater

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

danthebassman07

I have Rheem water heater that is leaking and it has acted aweful mysterious the last week.

Last sunday night my wife heard a spewing noise and went to check it out , finding standing water in the utility room. I turned the main water supply off and as it was 10:00 P.M. we dried the water up and decided to check it out the next morning.

The next morning I cleared out the closet to gain access to the service door and turned the water back on to see where the leak was. I had replaced the water heater last year with one that was only 3 years old so I was hoping that it was just a water line.

There was no leak to be found!

Now it's 6 days later and my wife heard the noise again. I retraced the steps to the access and dicovered the water was leaking somewhere near the top where the relief valve and the heated water comes out of the tank right beside the valve.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated I can't understand how it could have been broken for a week and just suddenly start leaking again today.
Johanna Bruns

Replace the temperature/pressure relief valve. It is commonly found high up on the side of the tank, and should be connected to a pipe that would send that water into the drain plumbing or outside. I've seen them do things like this, or just seep leak for years. If it happens again soon after the valve is replaced, either the water pressure in the tank is too high at times, or the unit is overheating, which would call for turnig down the thermostat or replacing it.

HTH
Johanna
I have the space and inclination to see what my imagination can help me build...
Greg

Hi & welcome. Check the thermostat or the water temp. at the closest faucet. !30* is plenty if it is higher, reset the thermostats or replace them. I would also think about replacing & replumbing the pop off valve so it drains to the outside. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
danthebassman07

Thanks for the response, I should have made myself a little more clear I guess. The water is not coming out of the valve, it looks like it is coming out where the fitting screws into the tank itself.
Johanna Bruns

In that case I'm with Greg-- check your temp at the nearest hot faucet, adjust or replace thermostats as needed.

Along with this, drain the tank sufficient to replace the t/p valve, remove it, clean and inspect the threads of the tank opening.It's possible that they have deteriorated so that it'll leak, you turn off the pressure, crud gets into the hole and holds after you turn the water back on for a bit, then blows again. If they're damaged, the only option is to replace the heater. If the threads are great, replace the t/p while it's out (use several wraps of good quality Teflon tape to seal it, don't be sparing) and plumb the valve to take water outside. If the tank leaks inside again, replace the heater. No sense in repeatedly dousing your floor-- hot water eats particle board or any other wood flooring faster than cool water.

HTH
I have the space and inclination to see what my imagination can help me build...