Replacing vynal soffet

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Maineman

We are residing our mobile home. We are stripping the outer walls down to the studs, adding OSB and installing new double hung windows. I want to get rid of the vynal soffets and facia boards and replace them with wood. My wife wants to have the facia and soffets maintainance free, no painting required. Does anyone know of a composite or solid vynal material that would look like and install like real wood?

Thanks,

Tom
JD
Site Admin

Have you considered Choice-Dek's fascia board? I think it comes in 9-1/4" x 144" x 3/4". As soffit, you will need some framing, 2x2 would do. You would also need to leave a small expansion gap between the panels, maybe 1/8". So you may want to staple up some bug screen or Homewrap to keep yellow jackets and such out. As a fascia board, it would need to get in behind the roof's drip edge somehow.

There are limited colors available. So this product may not work for you at all. You can also check with Home Depot or stores that carry competitor brands to Choice-Dek.

Personally, I have always liked the vinyl soffit with vinyl siding.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
JD
Site Admin

The Norandex/Reynolds vinyl soffit may be the most wood looking vinyl. My supplier carries Certainteed products, but I am sure the Norandex stuff should be widely distributed.

http://www.norandexreynolds.com/Product ... offit.aspx
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.