Washer drainage

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

busybee1952

Originally, my washer was on one side of the back door and the dryer on the other side in the entry way. Since the furnace was no good, it got tore out and it was my bright idea to move the washer and dryer to the spot where the furnace was so they would be more handy by being in the bathroom. I was heating with wood at the time, however, decided I needed a furnace since I couldn't always be here to stoke the stove so the washer and dryer ended up back where they were originally.

Although the washer was situated by the door before and worked fine, I'm having a problem with it draining. The original plumbing was still intact so all I did was just hook everything back up but when the washer discharges water, it backs up and comes out of the drain! There are no kinks or anything in the discharge hose that comes from the washer.

The drain does not seem to be plugged up because water goes down the sink which shares the drain pipe with the washer just fine, unless of course, there may be a partial plug up which is restricting the amount of water that can flow through there very fast. I believe the drain pipe is 2". It worked before so I just don't understand.

The only other thing I can think of is that when the washer was hooked up by the back door before, the septic system I had at that time had a little more of a drop to it than the new one I have now. I'm kinda at a loss as to why this is happening and hoped someone might have some ideas.

If you think the drain pipe might be partially plugged, what is the best thing to do to unplug it? Any other ideas?
HouseMedic

Do you still have the same washer that you used in that spot before? If you purchased a new one allot of washers now have a stronger pump and they pump out the water faster then the old ones. Just a thought.

Ron
Maureen

Hi There!

I'd check the drain pipe, or sewer pipe under the home. That's one possibility. The other is the vent pipe for the washer. If it hasn't been used in a few years, it could be plugged up.

Both would cause a problem with drainage.

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
busybee1952

Yup, same washer. I poured a gallon of water down the drain pipe when I had the sewer line patch off and the water came out. Naturally, pouring a gallon of water down is not the same as the force with which the washer pumps the water out so if the drain line is plugged somehow, it's only a partial plug. So, I guess I will need to check the vent next.